ruggie

What do I have wrong with support?

I'm trying to use S3D for the first time to print items requiring supports. I just enabled the support toggle and left the default values on. What settings do I have wrong that is making is under-doing the support? Tail and chain are printing in air, among other issues. I appreciate any pointers!
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
mroek

Re: What do I have wrong with support?

You can try to lower the support pillar resolution (currently at 4 mm, try 3 or 2). In addition it may help to set "Extra Inflation Distance" to something above zero (but don't overdo it, 1 or 2 mm should be enough). If that doesn't help, you will probably be better off by defining the missing supports manually.
horst.w

The automatic settings of support are not really well done. It is also depending from the solution of the support towers.
Cklick to the manually settings on the Menue Side Bar and remplace / adjust them. its easy to do with the mouse.

In the main window set for BaseLayers 1 or 2.
SeparationLayers set to 2 or 3
Distance to ... might be > 0.5 mm to separate the support proper from the model.

S3Ds page offers a lot of informations and videos about this. Have a look to Youtube.

Regards
horst.w
GER
dkightley

What I would do for this model is:

1) Set the support pillar resolution to 1.0mm
2) Set Extra inflation distance to say 2.0mm
3) Add 1 dense support layer of 100%
4) Open the Support Generation window...side bar
5) Click "Generate Automatic Supports" and review what is generated
6) Using the Add new support structures, add any support that you think is still needed
7) Preview the slicing....and repeat step 6) as required until you get good supports

And to get a more rigid support you could add a series of Support Infill angles with values: 0,0,0,0,0,90
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”