DDDSam

[FIXED] Ooze shield and prime pillar

I'm using dual extrusion and I am having serious issues with S3D, even with the new version 4.0.1, which claims to have solved at least the prime pillar issue. But it seems, it's not truly fixed yet, as I observed three basic problems:

1) the ooze shield is (at least most of the time) being printed AFTER the layer, rendering it totally useless. Isn't it obvious, that the ooze shield MUST always be printed first? I've read an older post that pointed this out already, but to no effect, obviously. Why?

2) the prime pillar also is not being printed before the rest in some configurations. I swapped the extruders for color1 and color2 from default right=T0, left=T1 and the result was that the prime pillar gets printed last! Since it's called a prime pillar, that's what it should do, ALWAYS.

3) I don't understand why in dual extrusion the layer numbering is different, it seems like every effective layer is split up in two "virtual" layers. Well, that alone would be ok, but unfortunately the layer numbers in the settings (e.g. used to set different temperatures at different layers) do not match anymore (e.g. layer 36 in the settings would be layer 72 in the output file). That's weird and should be corrected.

The above problems - I must say - render S3D quite useless as a slicer for dual extrusion. I will have to look for alternatives.
cragoe

Re: Ooze shield and prime pillar

I am having the same issue as DDDSam.

Most of the time it will not not use the prime pillar. When it finally does use it the layer it should be sticking does not exist and creates more ooz/stings. Incredibly frustrating since this is the whole reason I purchased this software.
KC_703

Are you using a brim or skirt option? I've noticed that the ooze and pillar order can be affected when these options are applied.

S3D eventually does get the order correct... prime pillar then ooze shield then the actual object.
S3D-Jake

I’m happy to announce that this issue should be resolved now in the latest 4.1.0 release. Our team extensively tested prints related to these issues. The Ooze Shield and Prime Pillar now print prior to the part. The layer numbering is now only updated when the layer change happens (Z move). This was just one of many improvements to the software. All of which are detailed on our Release Notes page.

Thank you for your help reporting this issue!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”