dennisjm

4.0.1 on Mac lets computer sleep

I haven't had this problem previously. I don't know if it's circumstantial at the time I upgraded to 4.0.1 or if it's something different in 4.0.1.

If I leave the computer for a while and the monitor turns off, S3D stops sending print commands to the printer. The commands are send in slow increments with long pauses in between (and the print suffers dramatically) until I go press a key on the keyboard or something to wake the computer back up.

Before I could leave the computer and it seemed like S3D simply grabbed a sleep lock and guarded against this.
rrdavis

Re: 4.0.1 on Mac lets computer sleep

The newer Mac OS versions have new power saving features that you can't bypass as easily. I had to disable them manually in the system preferences. There are also things like AppNap that can be problematic.
dennisjm

Which preference? I already have power always on when I'm plugged into wall power but I do let the displays sleep.
Prevent AppNap used to be an option in the general section when you clicked on "Get Info" on the app but it went away in 10.13.

Is there somewhere else now?
dennisjm

Any suggestions? I'm still having this issue.

Walk away from Simplify3D for a little bit, Display goes to sleep,
All of a sudden my printer is pausing and melting plastic previously printed plastic instead of smoothly printing each layer.

I never did find a fix in system preferences. I just know w/ older software and OS I used to be able to print over USB fine. I can resort to the SD card but it's a pain to do for otherwise simple prints that I just want to tweak and test.
DarthRevan

dennisjm wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:38 pm Any suggestions? I'm still having this issue.

Walk away from Simplify3D for a little bit, Display goes to sleep,
All of a sudden my printer is pausing and melting plastic previously printed plastic instead of smoothly printing each layer.

I never did find a fix in system preferences. I just know w/ older software and OS I used to be able to print over USB fine. I can resort to the SD card but it's a pain to do for otherwise simple prints that I just want to tweak and test.
Have you tried anti sleep (mentioned here)?
dennisjm

Yep. Doesn't seem to change the behavior at all for me.
DarthRevan

dennisjm wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:17 pm Yep. Doesn't seem to change the behavior at all for me.
I've used this in the past. http://lightheadsw.com/caffeine/

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”