GarethK

Repeatable crash on multiple process 'ordering'

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:42 am

Hi,
There may be a bug in the software which in my case causes a crash if multiple processes are used and not 'ordered' by layer / height in the processes window.

I use a Prusa i3 Mk3, which at the moment can print infill acceptably very fast (>150mm/s PLA, and I'm doing 75mm/s PETG) but get's ringing and generally less tidy if perimeters are anywhere near that, so I'm down closer to 40mm/s for perimeters. At the same time fast PETG infill on the first layer does not stick at such high speeds, so I have to use a separate process for the first layer to adjust speeds accordingly - if I just use a % slowdown to drag the first layer infill speed down to acceptable numbers then perimeters are sloooooow.

With that in mind I would create the main process, then copy it, slow the speeds (And do some X/Y size adjustment for 'elephants foot') and set the start and stop heights. If I then click 'Prepare to Print' I get a crash every time, which loses the plate layout and processes on restart, going back to the last factory file save. If I reorder the processes by dragging and dropping so that the 'copy' process (First layer) is above the main process it works fine.

I'm getting into the habit of reordering where necessary or using the variable settings wizard which also works fine but it doesn't seem right that the process order in the window (Even if start and stop heights are set correctly) causes a software-exit crash with lost data.

rrdavis

Re: Repeatable crash on multiple process 'ordering'

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:06 am

Can you attach the factory file?

GarethK

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi,
I've attached two factory files, of the 'Fast edge over/under extrusion test' available at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1622868. I used the variable settings wizard to split into two processes, which works fine.
Extrusion_Test - 2 Process - Correct order.factory
(11.57 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
If I drag 'Process1-1' below 'Process1-2' in the Processes window (Not that this is something you would normally do but it reflects the way I had been previously splitting the processes) I get a program crash on hitting 'Prepare to Print' every time.
Extrusion_Test - 2 Process - Reversed order.factory
(11.57 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
2018-04-09 22_37_17-Extrusion_Test - 2 Process - Reversed order.png

ClintGoss1

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:22 am

I can confirm the crash on my system as you described by starting from your Correct Order.factory. Win7x64 S3D v4.0.1
-- Clint Goss

clown9669

Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:55 am

Hello, I have this problem too. Whenever I use multiple processes, the program crashes when I click "Prepare to Print". Any solution so far?

DarthRevan

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:58 am

clown9669 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:55 am
Hello, I have this problem too. Whenever I use multiple processes, the program crashes when I click "Prepare to Print". Any solution so far?
I'm willing to run some tests on my rigs today for this. I've been using the software for quite a while without running into issues so maybe my workflow could be of some use to you guys having issues?

Attach a factory file and the exact steps you go through to cause the crash, and I'll try to perform the same on my end. Also, if it's a consistently repeatable error you'll want to send a report to S3D's support staff. https://www.simplify3d.com/contact

drew7977

Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:41 pm

I have been struggling with this as well. I have used multiple processes in the past on a different computer. But now it crashes when I hit print preview. Every time. If I take off the multiple processes it is just fine. So I can start and stop the problem. But I need a second process. I am running windows 10 pro simplify 4.0

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”