WTLgrinda

Skirt under extrusion

Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:30 pm

Problem is simple.

My printer calibration is perfect. Bed has 0.1mm deviation all over. Z probe height is perfect.

If I want my skirt to stick to bed, my part ends up with an elephant foot. If I baby step to get my part to not elephant foot my skirt doesn’t adhere well to the bed.

Either i raise extrusion percentage or baby step -0.1mm for skirt only. Is there a way to script/post process this?

I thought about lowering my first layer extrusion multiplier and offset my Z -0.1mm but on parts with raft that would leave a poor finish under the part.

airscapes

Re: Skirt under extrusion

Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:33 pm

new guy here, been working on this sort of stuff for a few weeks now and think I have a handle on the bed height thing..
Make a model that is a single wall square at least 35mm square 2 mm tall and a wall thickness of your extrude width.
Print the square and measure the thickness with a digital caliper, should be withing .02 of the designed width. The height should be 2mm
Thickness will let you know if you are exturding enough and when you examine the layers with a jeweler loop you can determine if the first layer is the same as the rest.. adjust starting height in the firmware to adjust.. well I guess that is possible on all printers not sure..

If the width is too thick or thin, start with that before you hit the height adjustment.. Had lots of problem with Efoot until I got these set correctly. I was also running a little too hot.

I will attache a slt for .4 extrude width. it may also be better to set you layer to .2 to start, prints faster and easier to see if your bottom 2 layers look ok.
Good luck!

Print them in vase mode
.4 layer width
26x26x.4x2.stl
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
.25 layer width
40x40x2x.25.stl
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

WTLgrinda

Re: Skirt under extrusion

Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:51 pm

airscapes wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:33 pm
new guy here, been working on this sort of stuff for a few weeks now and think I have a handle on the bed height thing..
Make a model that is a single wall square at least 35mm square 2 mm tall and a wall thickness of your extrude width.
Print the square and measure the thickness with a digital caliper, should be withing .02 of the designed width. The height should be 2mm
Thickness will let you know if you are exturding enough and when you examine the layers with a jeweler loop you can determine if the first layer is the same as the rest.. adjust starting height in the firmware to adjust.. well I guess that is possible on all printers not sure..

If the width is too thick or thin, start with that before you hit the height adjustment.. Had lots of problem with Efoot until I got these set correctly. I was also running a little too hot.

I will attache a slt for .4 extrude width. it may also be better to set you layer to .2 to start, prints faster and easier to see if your bottom 2 layers look ok.
Good luck!

Print them in vase mode
.4 layer width
26x26x.4x2.stl

.25 layer width
40x40x2x.25.stl
Extrusion is perfect. If I print anything I’m always within 0.1mm tolerance. I printed empty cubes, vases and parts for press fit with great precision. I’m really looking for a way to alter the skirt

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”