KeyboardWarrior

Tip of the Day 17 -New Feature- Horizontal Size Compensation

Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 10.08.15 AM.png
The horizontal size compensation is a new feature in version 2.2.2, if you don't see this option under the Other tab, this may mean you are using version 2.2.1 or earlier. There are many, many usage case scenarios for which you could use this feature. Taken from the blog post, the gear bearings by Emmet. If you print these out, and the plastic has molded together, you could place a value of -.05 to increase the gap by 1. mm, or -.1 mm gap to increase the gap by .2 mm (half the average nozzle diameter for perspective). the gap is doubled, since both perimeters are compensating away from one another, so the gap is twice the value of the input.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:53451

That's one use case scenario, but there's also the use case for a standard print. For instance, if you print a 25 mm cube and notice that it's 24.8 mm in the X-Y axis, then you print a 50 mm cube and it's 49.8 mm, you could add .1 mm to the size compensation to quickly remedy the size of your prints.
BaronWilliams

Re: Tip of the Day 17 -New Feature- Horizontal Size Compensa

This is a great new feature of version 2.2.2. It's very helpful when printing functional parts that interact with each other.

I wonder why slicers do not normally have this on the Z axis as well?
AndersE

Wow, this was really cool to play with :)
66tbird

It's what I've been needing, Thank you :D
kenwshmt

This may help mold making too, since the outside edge is slightly larger than it should be for a negative mold.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31581

any thoughts?
FrankBlack

Lets say holes usually come out .5mm too small. Would it make sense to keep this setting as .25mm?
JoeJ

You would want a negative 0.25mm so it makes the holes larger. But yes, the value of -0.25mm is correct, since that will take 0.25mm out of each side of the hole, making the diameter 0.5mm larger
bapro

When pointing your mouse at this feature it says (shrink)???? Please change this to offset if that's what happens. Shrinks gives more of a feeling of scaling that is something completely different.
adamfilip

BaronWilliams wrote:This is a great new feature of version 2.2.2. It's very helpful when printing functional parts that interact with each other.

if your Z Steps are right. then
Z can be adjusted using the Extrusion multiplier. up to a point..
when i notice something is shorter then normal. i adjust my extrusion multipler slightly higher, it usually helps.
Wolfie

adamfilip wrote:
BaronWilliams wrote:This is a great new feature of version 2.2.2. It's very helpful when printing functional parts that interact with each other.

if your Z Steps are right. then
Z can be adjusted using the Extrusion multiplier. up to a point..
when i notice something is shorter then normal. i adjust my extrusion multipler slightly higher, it usually helps.
Wait, what? I was under the impression that "Extrusion Multiplier" affected how much material was extruded, not the actual z steps. Was I wrong?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”