StealthMicro

Must disconnect and reconnect -S3D 2.2.2 - Replicator 2 HBP

If for some reason I need to stop the build by pressing the STOP button not the EMERGENCY STOP just the normal STOP button it stops the build but I can not start another build unless I hit the Disconnect button and then the Reconnect button before clicking the Begin Printing over USB. If I do it does not start the build. Not a huge issue but one that should be fixed. Not sure if it has been reported before or if it is just my setup.

Replicator 2 with Sailfish and HBP.
I am using a IOGear 4 Port USB over Ethernet device. (Works flawlessly even with Laser Cutter at the same time)
S3D 2.2.2
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Any other info needed just say the word.

* ALSO *

When this happens and I reconnect most of the time when it starts the build it has trouble with the stepper motors. What I mean is it makes a weird noise and the steppers go extremely slow and do not go where they are supposed too. When this happens I have to Disconnect again. Close S3D, Stop the Makerbot device in the IOGear USB software, restart the BOT, start the USB device in the IOGear software then start S3D and restart the print. If I do not follow those steps and forget to close S3D first then it does not shut down the USB connection correctly. So lets say the steppers are making noise and moving slowly so I reach behind the BOT and shut it off. In that case then when I start it back up and start the drivers in IOGear then start S3D it can not connect to the USB port it keeps saying port in use. The ONLY ways I can recover from that is a) reboot the computer. b) go into the device manager and disable the port and re enable the port, start the IOGear device and restart S3D and walla it works.
BaudR8

Re: Must disconnect and reconnect -S3D 2.2.2 - Replicator 2

I've tried stopping a print a dozen times and restarting a new print with the stop button and Emergency Stop button, but it seems to be working fine for me. Could you provide a bit more info such as what FW version you're running? Have you tried updating your firmware to the latest version? Is the printer moving or pre-heating while you hit the stop button?
StealthMicro

Windows 7 64bit
S3D 2.2.2
IOGear 4 Port USB to Ethernet/WiFi (mine is connected to ethernet)
Sailfish 7.7 r01432

1st try preheating...
STOP...
Does not stop the pre heat process.
Must disconnect and reconnect to proceed.
When trying to print from the reconnect steppers move slow and sound distressed.
Hit Emergency Stop and reconnected and then print appears to be okay.

2nd try while printing...
STOP...
Extruder and bed start to cool.
Stepper motors stay enabled so bed stays at current location as well as print head.
When trying print from there the bed is at the current print location and homes properly but does start print job sucessfully.

3rd try while preheating...
EMERGENCY STOP...
All works as one would expect! Heaters immediately shut down and stepper motors disengage.

4th try while printing...
EMERGENCY STOP...
All works as one would expect! Heaters immediately shut down and stepper motors disengage.

So its like proper GCODE is not sent to the printer. I would think after a stop it should no matter what turn off the extruder and bed heaters and disable the stepper motors just as it does with EMERGENCY STOP just not disconnect. Otherwise someone could mistakenly think the printer is actually idle and walk away to come back to find that either the printer has been heating for an extended period of time and could cause the extruder to clog or worse if no one is around could even start a fire if left unattended for a long period of time.

As a fail safe S3D could at least shut heaters off and disengage stepper motors if left at a stop state for a preset period of time. I really see no reason for the heaters to ever remain on or the steppers engaged though as you can not continue the print from there when the stop button has been pressed no matter what.

During a PAUSE I would expect things to continue where they are of course heaters on and steppers engaged as one would expect to continue on from that point.
dkightley

I think this is somewhat a symptom of how the whole program has been designed....ie by a programmer, not by a user!

PAUSE - stop issuing commands to the printer in anticipation of there being a restart

STOP - Stop issuing commands to the printer. Full stop!

EMERGENCY STOP - Abort the print process, sending any necessary commands to the printer to end the printing process.

Now if the program had been designed by a user, there would be:

PAUSE - stop the print process in anticipation of there either being a restart or an Abort.

ABORT - stop the print process and issue all necessary commands to the printer to close it down safely.

I think the bottom line is: Try out each function in the software, find out what happens and then "label" the function in note form to describe what it does....not what it says!!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
TenKOhms

I'll try this out on my printer tomorrow and let you know what i find
StealthMicro

dkightley wrote:I think this is somewhat a symptom of how the whole program has been designed....ie by a programmer, not by a user!

PAUSE - stop issuing commands to the printer in anticipation of there being a restart

STOP - Stop issuing commands to the printer. Full stop!

EMERGENCY STOP - Abort the print process, sending any necessary commands to the printer to end the printing process.

Now if the program had been designed by a user, there would be:

PAUSE - stop the print process in anticipation of there either being a restart or an Abort.

ABORT - stop the print process and issue all necessary commands to the printer to close it down safely.

I think the bottom line is: Try out each function in the software, find out what happens and then "label" the function in note form to describe what it does....not what it says!!
Sounds about right.

S3D should really rethink how those buttons operate though.
By placing the printer in a "semi" stopped state is very misleading.

So does this happen with all 3D printers they support then?
TenKOhms

So I tried this out with the usage case you were using:
1st try preheating...
STOP...
Does not stop the pre heat process.
Must disconnect and reconnect to proceed.
When trying to print from the reconnect steppers move slow and sound distressed.
Hit Emergency Stop and reconnected and then print appears to be okay.
And I did indeed see what you were describing.

- Sent a print job to the printer
- hit "Stop" in the MCP during the pre-heating stage, the printer was still in the pre-heat stage
- disconnected/reconnected, from here it connected but in the communication window, you can see S3D tell you there were packet transmission failures when it reconnected. My guess is this is due to it still being in the pre-heat process. With that error appearing in the comm window, I was expecting it to not print properly. Comm errors are a good sign for you to not proceed, and instead try to e-stop it or power cycle and reconnect so that you don't have any packet transmission errors
- went ahead and tried to resend the print anyways, it homed properly but then went into a random location.

If you stop the printer mid print (after the pre-heating stage) I've found that it operates as it should and I could resend a print job if I liked. It's possible the firmware implements a set temperature and wait like Marlin does, and recognizes the command s3d sends it for the "stop" command, but in the firmware level that will act funky with teh machine state being in both a stop state and pre-heating state.
dkightley

I didn't give any suggestion in my reply above....but I would suggest you do not use the STOP button to abort a print - use the EMERGENCY STOP instead....if it was relabelled to reflect it's purpose for the user, it would be ABORT PRINT.

I can only think that the concept of an EMERGENCY STOP is on the basis of the window being designed to mimic a CNC machine control panel...on which there would be a big red button that you can hit to bring the CNC machine to a halt! In the case of a 3D printer, there are a few "Housekeeping" jobs to do as well as stopping streaming commands...ie turn off heaters and stepper motors. The STOP button appears to simply stop the software from streaming commands to the printer!! Just as if you'd pulled the USB cable out the back of the printer!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
cragoe

Re: Must disconnect and reconnect -S3D 2.2.2 - Replicator 2 HBP

I am a new user to S3D after using all the other software and slicers over the past 5 years. I just had an "oh s#!t" realization when the heaters didn't turn off after hitting the stop. This could have been dangerous as I was about to leave the house for a quick errand and they would have just sat and cooked, luckily I only had them on for 10min before finding this out. This issue was on a machine using Marlin.

Its been a few years since this post but I think it would be a big improvement if S3D resolves this issue as it is a big one.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”