blherrington

Not extruding on second layer

Not quite sure why, but lately my prints have been not extruding on a portion of the second layer. It's always in the same spot and on 2 different prints. I'm attaching the g-code and profile.
Attachments
BLACK PLA.fff
(2.52 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
divot tool.gcode
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 280 times
20130704_195815.jpg
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Re: Not extruding on second layer

If you look at the G-Code you posted in Creator's built-in Previewer, you can see that there are clearly infill segments that should be printed in that area. The program appears to be calculating the correct toolpaths, which suggests this might be a mechanical issue.

What printer are you using? Any chance you need to adjust the tensioning on your extruder? Those are the longest segments of that layer so maybe it is slipping at the same point due to the increased acceleration at those locations. The first layer is typically printed slower so you wouldn't see it there. You might also just be trying to print too fast. There are typically limits for how fast an extruder can push plastic out before it starts to slip. If adjusting the tension on the extruder doesn't help, you could also try decreasing your printing speed by 10% and see if that helps.
blherrington

I initially had the same idea of a mechanical issue after running it through the preview. Im using an M2. When I watch the extruder, it just stops running the extruder a together. Just strange it is in the exact same spot of different prints. Although I did switch colors and to my profile for that color and it did fine. Didn't know if I was missing something in the gcode or what.
bobginpgh

Watch your communications window, are you getting cold extrusion prevented messages? My temp oscillated low (below 170), and I had "perforated" layers I autotuned the PID controller, and got much tighter temperature control.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”