BruceB

Better Shaped Rafts

I am doing large builds in pla and rafts are very helpful in making a solid and secure base. However, the raft size is a project onto the build table of in effect whatever would be a vertical shadow of the part. I often have builds where the raft itself is 4 hours. It would be way better if the raft only built where the part or the support actually made contact with the table.
jamezracer

Re: Better Shaped Rafts

Agreed, however I would like to be a bit more specific in how they should be altered, at least for my typical use cases.

I use rafts ONLY as a way to help support structure stick to the bed. In the same way that we can set the number of dense support structure layers under and above the part itself, I think the sense support layers between the bed and the support should be an separate option.

If a user still wants to have a raft under the part and the support, an option to put it only under the regions that contact the part would save considerable time and material. I understand how it is usually nice to have one big raft that pops off the bed easily, but sometimes this is outweighed by the massive time and material cost.
JoeJ

Re: Better Shaped Rafts

One quick tip - you can also try disabling the raft base layers (see Additions tab), as that can greatly speed up the print time and seems to stick to the bed just fine on my printer

Return to “Feature Requests”