aamcclary

Modify printer model

How do you modify the printer model ?
I have a STL model of my 3D printer already created and I see where it allows you to change the model ( tools--> options--> Machine) but I am unable to save the changes for the next time I open simplify 3D. Any ideas?
Also I have to modify the machine profile (Makerbot Thing-O-Matic based on Replicator 1 single profile with different start and ending G code).
I attached a STL of my Makerbot Thing-O- Matic if anyone wants to use it.
TOM Build plate.zip
TOM Build plate
(6.71 MiB) Downloaded 315 times
JoeJ

Re: Modify printer model

Tools > Options > Machine tab, then click Add or Remove for the printer model. You can even change the color
aamcclary

The problem isn't setting it but keeping that setting. If I make a change in the process settings or close and reopen the program the printer model back to the default build plate for the replicator.
DarthRevan

There is a toggle in the xml for FFF profiles. if you toggle this setting off, you'll be able to set your own bed model and have it saved for each time you open.
  1. Goto File then export FFF profile. Select the profile you'd like to export (the one that will have your bed model.
  2. Open the FFF you just exported in a notepad (text edit on mac)
  3. Change this line

Code: Select all

<overridePrinterModels>1</overridePrinterModels>
    to

Code: Select all

<overridePrinterModels>0</overridePrinterModels>
  4. Save the edited FFF.
  5. Use File -> Import FFF to get the profile back into S3D.
  6. Open up FFF settings and switch to the freshly imported profile.(It'll, more than likely, have a (2) behind the title)
  7. Close S3D with the new bed model set.
  8. Open S3D to find your custom bed model still there!
Trogdor Custom Printer Model
Trogdor Custom Printer Model
MacGyver2004

The TOM build plate looks just like my build plate almost. I have a quick release mod on mine but the stl is close enough. Now I just have to figure out how to rotate the preview 180 degrees when I hit the "Default" view.
jgschmidt

Hi, this isn't working for me. I can't get my custom printer model to appear when I restart SImplify3D. I am using version 3.0.2
Does anyone have any other suggestions? I would thing that the model color and the STL filename would be stored in the XML but I can't find any tags for them.

I'm using 3 different printers and I want to use this to ensure I'm using the correct profile for the printer I want to use.

Thanks, Jurgen
CompoundCarl

Works fine for me. Read this for more info: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3758&p=16462#p16462
armedneutrality

Apologies in advance for the braindead question, but where does one get these models from? I, for instance, can see that S3D does indeed know that I am using a Flash Forge Creator Pro, and "Tools > Options > Machine" already says it would be very happy to load "FlashForge_CreatorPro.stl" --- except that neither I nor grep find any traces of this file anywhere within my file system...

S3D doesn't complain that it's not found, but it doesn't display anything either.
jevs

This does not seem to work in version 4. The thing you say to edit is already set that way. Reopening the software results in the bed model being gone.
Ander

Does not work for me either. Version 4.0.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”