didymus

Help with gaps

Hi everyone

Sorry for along possibly a basic question, but can anyone help me understand what setting is causing gaps between the outside layers and the surfaces?

Printing PLA at 195 with extrusion multiplier at 100%....
Attachments
IMG_20150625_072321.jpg
KeyboardWarrior

Re: Help with gaps

didymus wrote:Hi everyone

Sorry for along possibly a basic question, but can anyone help me understand what setting is causing gaps between the outside layers and the surfaces?

Printing PLA at 195 with extrusion multiplier at 100%....
The setting would be outline overlap, this setting is under the Infill tab, the higher the percentage, the further into your perimeter the infill will go.
didymus

KeyboardWarrior wrote: The setting would be outline overlap, this setting is under the Infill tab, the higher the percentage, the further into your perimeter the infill will go.
Cool thanks so much - other than this I am really, really impressed with the results I'm getting with Simplify3d :) :)
billyd

You can add top layers. Also if you increase infill percentage near the top surfact that will help. You can achieve this using multiple processes and using the the start and stop layer commands in the process to define the different infill % at specific locations in the model. Also increasing overlap on the infill tab helps too.

I have found the default S3D process (V2 or V3) for medium quality on my R2 to be no good in this respect. It defaults to 3 layers and 20% overlap. I have found you need 4 layers and 25 to 30% overlap to get good (visually watertight) results.
didymus

Thanks dude

I turned up the overlap to 30% and it's looking much better, will definitely add an extra layer too.

Finally finished printing all the bits for my enclosure, fingers crossed I will then be able to print abs without warping :)

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”