dklassen

Version 3 Extruder and Head Bed Temps.

I noticed in the new version that it doesn't save the extruder and heat bed temp settings in the machine control panel. Anyway to get that back?
dragonf1r3

Re: Version 3 Extruder and Head Bed Temps.

Do you have this problem when you turn one off it sets it to 0? If that's what you're referring to, I have it as well and it's really really annoying.
dklassen

That's the one. It is annoying, they need to fix that pronto.
jimc

i talked with them about this during beta. its now supposed to work that way. the box in the control panel now shows the last temp command sent to the printer so if you set to 250 to do a preheat then run your print and on layer 10 its set to drop to 240 then at layer 10 the box will read 240. at the end of your print the heat is all shut off to 0 which is why it reads 0 and you need to set it again for the next print. its different and just something you need to get used to. octoprint works the same way.
dragonf1r3

That's....a horrible way of doing it. Now I have to remember every time what I had just set it at if I'm turning it on and off (cleaning, debugging, etc.). Why not just make it an option instead of forcing the change. I really like 3.0 but I don't like how lots of little things aren't recorded in the changelog.
jimc

i do see your point and i also like the old way but i also see s3d'd point as well and why how they do it makes sense. if a temp command is given to the printer no matter if its the user or the gcode then the box reflects that command.
dklassen

Please don't tell me they are actually going to leave it that way! Not liking it at all.
jimc

currently yes, thats how its supposed to be and it how they are leaving it. if that changes in a future update who knows. im kinda on the fence. its a little easier for me to get used to i guess because its the same as how octoprint functions and i have one printer running that on a pi.
dklassen

Most of the time I print with the same temps all the way through a print. It's just a pain having to reset that to preheat all the time. What they should do is at least put in a check box to lock in and save the settings if that's what you want. Now it's just one more manual entry step in the workflow you didn't have to do before. Not the end of the world of course but it's still a pain and the wrong direction IMHO.
TimEdwards

If it helps to have additional comments, then I agree that the new way of handling the temperatures is just awful. The underlying problem is that the firmware just sets the temperature; there is no "on" and "off". The heater gets turned off by setting it below room temperature. So if you add "on" and "off" buttons, you have to have some way not to confuse them with the temperature setting.

I do like the idea that the last set temperature gets read off the machine and plugged back into the software. That keeps the software in sync with the hardware. I also acknowledge that there are no perfect solutions for this problem. However, I would suggest that a reasonable solution is that whenever the controller board reports back that a temperature is set to zero, then the software should set the "off" button, NOT change the temperature value. If the temperature has been adjusted, say for a different type of plastic, then yes, the temperature value should be changed and the extruder should remain "on".

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”