3dyeti

Setting machine z height?

I'm not seeing a way to set my z height. Can you point me in the right direction?
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Re: Setting machine z height?

It's called stroke in Creator. Go to Tools > Options (or Preferences on a Mac) and look at the right-hand side. The Z-axis stroke is what you're looking for. By default it's setup to match the M2 dimensions.
3dyeti

I do not have a 'Stroke' option. I see a panel with machine dimensions, and a z value of 200mm. I was hoping for a way to set the starting z height in the gcode. Some times it is beneficially to tweak this for different colors of material, and such without having the adjust the machine itself. For minute adjustments, like .1 micron here and there.
Simplify3D
Site Admin

The Z-stroke I was talking about defines your build volume height (see screenshot)
zstroke.png
zstroke.png (19.5 KiB) Viewed 11338 times
But it sounds like you're talking about something else. We are actually already working on some new features that will make this a breeze, such as defining what Z-heights you want to start and end printing at. We specifically came up with the idea to help with multi-color printing, so it sounds like that's what you're looking for.

However, version 1.0.4 doesn't have that in there yet, but there's a few tricks you can use to do this. First, the slicer will only start slicing at the build table surface. So if you position your object 10mm below the build table (so that part of it is literally going through the table), the slicer will only start creating G-Code 10mm up the part. You can do this by double-clicking the part to bring up the custom positioning dialog.

You can also use some creative G92 commands to change the origin location for the print. So what I might do is manually zero my machine using the "Home All" button in the machine control panel. Then jog the Z-axis up by 10mm. Then press the "Zero Position" button that will send G92 X0 Y0 Z0. That tells the firmware that the current location is the origin (0, 0, 0). You could then print the G-Code you made in the step above by tricking the slicer to start slicing 10mm up.

We get that this isn't the easiest procedure which is why we're making some better tools to do this. Does it at least make sense how you could do this right now if you really wanted to? Also note that you would need to get rid of the G28 (home all axes) in your starting G-Code if you use this method since you are tricking the machine to thinking the home position has moved and a G28 would ruin that.
3dyeti

You got it. If it is on the way, that's fine by me. As annoying as it is to have some things not working right out of the box, you guys sure doing a good job of responding. It is much appreciated. I was impressed with 1.04 coming out on Saturday. Keep it up!
3dyeti

Setting zero position does not work. I tested it by telling z its zero should be at 10mm. I than hit the 'Zero Position' button which sends.

SENT: G28 X0 Y0 Z0
RECEIVED: ok

I than click 'Home All' and it returns to its previous position, not 10mm. I sent gcode to print, and it was not adjusted for the change in z height either.
3dyeti

Alright. Restarted the printer, and Creator. It seems to be working now. The gcode uses the new home position.
Simplify3D
Site Admin

You're on the right track, but you can't click "Home All" after you manually zero the position. Homing essentially runs each axis backwards until it runs into the physical endstops and then set that position as zero. It doesn't care what you call zero via G92 commands, just cares when the endstops are triggered. If you want to manually choose the zero, you have to omit any G28 commands from the G-Code.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”