mhackney

Strange corner artifact

I decided to give S3D another chance given all the enhancements in V3 and re-bought it today. The product is maturing and seems to be moving in a good direction. So, I pulled up one of my latest projects and worked through a custom config for my Rostock Max (aftermarket hotend, electronics, etc). Things went well and I was able to transfer a lot of my knowledge with other slicers to S3D. The first part printed but there are a couple of issues to work on. The first is - and I see others have posted here about this - the top layer is very, very rough. Surprisingly rough. I'll do some more research and experiments on this one. The other seems to be a slicing artifact and is odd and may be contributing to some of the roughness. Here's a screen capture of the first layer with the issue annotated with yellow arrows:
Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 4.29.54 PM.png
As you can see, at what should be a simple corner, the second perimeter in makes an odd "dovetail" path. The top one might make sense since the outer perimeter is disjoint at the corner but the lower one is next to a continuous perimeter. Quite odd. Has anyone seen this and have any suggestions to work around or resolve it?

cheers,
Michael
www.EclecticAngler.com - home of the 3D Printed Fly Fishing Reel!
KeyboardWarrior

Re: Strange corner artifact

Can you post a factory file?
mhackney

Yup, here's the factory file:
OddPerimeters.factory
(68.76 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
mhackney

Also, in looking at the screen capture closely, I do see that the perimeter the lower arrow points to does have a little "jitter" in it, it is not a smooth bead like I originally thought. Somehow the points on the diamond shaped area are telegraphing through to the perimeters.
mhackney

This also happens with concentric External Fill Pattern.
mhackney

I've done a LOT of experimentation to try to understand this oddness including changing the extrusion width smaller and larger, # of perimeters, concentric & rectilinear infill and a number of other tweaks. In all cases I get this oddness at the corners in the paths. I will try some experiments with a simple disk with a diamond shaped hole in it to see what that does. It wouldn't be so bad but these paths actually printed leave little gaps at those "dovetail" corners whereas a smooth perimeter would not.
mhackney

star test.jpg
Here's a controlled experiment that shows how the issue develops.

I separated the tips of the stars in test 1 by 1.7mm. I'm using a .4mm orifice and extrusion width so there should be at least 3 perimeters of separation and I sliced with 2 perimeters.

In test 1 the stars are "level" across a tip and there is no artifact

In test 2 I angled the stars down by about 5° for a total 10° angle across the tips. There is an artifact.

In test 3 I angled the starts up by about 5° for a total 10° angle across the tips. There is no artifact.

In test 4 I positioned the tops of two points so they were 1.7mm apart. There are artifacts at both points.

I guess I move on to something else to slice.
mhackney

BUMP

Is this a lost cause? Has anyone else seen this or similar artifacts?
dewme5

What I see, looks just like the natural projection of the second perimeter. The odd dovetail, only looks odd because the two points cross. Are you getting different results on the same print from a different slicer?
mhackney

Kiss, cura and slic3r all slice properly without that artifact. I had been slicing and printing parts like this with kiss for months and thought it was a goodies to use to try S3D.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”