22MIL2DAY

rapid moves vs print moves

My rapid moves are way too quick and I would like to slow them. I have been over riding the file from the machine control panel using the over ride settings the rapid moves are good but then the actual print moves are way to slow
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Re: rapid moves vs print moves

22MIL,

See the attached screenshot. In the FFF Settings window, show the "Advanced" stuff, then go to the "Other" tab. There are the speed settings. The "Default Printing Speed" is the X/Y motion speed when extruding (unless you override, like on the first layer, outermost perimeters --- right below it as a percentage of that speed --- etc.). The "X/Y Axis Movement Speed" is the speed for non-extruding rapids. This is the one you want to reduce.

Don't be afraid to dink with the Advanced stuff. Look around -- there are a lot of things you can work with on temperatures for layers, infill settings, etc., etc., to help improve your prints. Read through other posts here and see what folks have found useful. One word of advice: don't mess with ten things at once! Change one or two and see how your prints change and make incremental improvements. You'll find what works for you by experimenting and learning. I understand that S3D is working on a manual that will have more info on what all the settings do in some detail. (You can pause the mouse over a setting to get a brief tooltip.) Can't wait to read it!!!

Dale
Attachments
FFF Settings, Advanced settings showing, Other tab, showing printer speeds
FFF Settings, Advanced settings showing, Other tab, showing printer speeds
22MIL2DAY

Re: rapid moves vs print moves

Again Dale, thank you very much. I have improved the quality of the print 10x in the last two days. 1st prints were horrible but as I have remedied each issue the quality has improved. My goal is to complete a large prototype assembly one piece at a time. I have started with a short run simple (oil plug) part and will work my way up to the cylinder which is about 9-1/2" long and has alot of detail.
Attachments
cylinder
cylinder

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”