dewme5
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:06 am

First layer vs. extrusion width

I'm printing on a Rostock Max V2.

.5 nozzle, .4 first layer height. extrusion steps are calibrated, Printing a 20mm cube, using 2 bottom layers, and single corkscrew walls.

When extrusion width is left on automatic, the box goes gray, and .60mm is used. However, the measured width ends up being .81mm. So, I adjusted the extrusion multiplier from 100% down to 86%. Now, perfect .60mm walls, but the layers have gaps. I've adjusted infill extrusion width from 100% to 200% with no noticeable change.

How can I keep the .60mm walls, while also getting a great first layer?

The left shows 86%, right 100% extrusion multiplier, leaving .60mm and .81mm walls respectively.

Image
User avatar
KeyboardWarrior
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: First layer vs. extrusion width

dewme5 wrote:I'm printing on a Rostock Max V2.

.5 nozzle, .4 first layer height. extrusion steps are calibrated, Printing a 20mm cube, using 2 bottom layers, and single corkscrew walls.

When extrusion width is left on automatic, the box goes gray, and .60mm is used. However, the measured width ends up being .81mm. So, I adjusted the extrusion multiplier from 100% down to 86%. Now, perfect .60mm walls, but the layers have gaps. I've adjusted infill extrusion width from 100% to 200% with no noticeable change.

How can I keep the .60mm walls, while also getting a great first layer?

The left shows 86%, right 100% extrusion multiplier, leaving .60mm and .81mm walls respectively.

Image
Can you got to File-->Save Factory File and post that?

Also, can you post pictures of the measurements you're using?

Lastly, is the profile you're using based off of the Simplify3D 3.0 profile?
dewme5
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:06 am

Re: First layer vs. extrusion width

KeyboardWarrior wrote:[

Can you got to File-->Save Factory File and post that?

Also, can you post pictures of the measurements you're using?

Lastly, is the profile you're using based off of the Simplify3D 3.0 profile?

The profile is one I found online. The Simplify3d profile was not even close to good results.

Pictures of the measurements I'm using, if I understand what you are asking for correctly. 20mm cube, printed single wall in spiral. The finish looks excellent and adhesion is great.
Image
Attachments
abs_35_spiral_60wall.factory
(700.99 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
dewme5
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:06 am

Re: First layer vs. extrusion width

I think I have found a portion of the answer I was looking for. Researching through the Slic3r manual, I come across
Extrusion Width is the thickness of a single filament extruded either in free air or above a surface. It's not the distance of two adjacent paths since some overlap will be generally applied in order to get better bonding.
So my biggest issue, was a misunderstanding of what extrusion width actually meant. I followed someones suggestion on dialing in one specific aspect of the settings, which lead me astray.
User avatar
KeyboardWarrior
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: First layer vs. extrusion width

dewme5 wrote:I think I have found a portion of the answer I was looking for. Researching through the Slic3r manual, I come across
Extrusion Width is the thickness of a single filament extruded either in free air or above a surface. It's not the distance of two adjacent paths since some overlap will be generally applied in order to get better bonding.
So my biggest issue, was a misunderstanding of what extrusion width actually meant. I followed someones suggestion on dialing in one specific aspect of the settings, which lead me astray.
In Simplify3D Extrusion Width effects your toolpaths. If you have issues with your lines not being connected, then increasing the Extrusion Multiplier is recommended.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”