AK_Eric

Re: Overhangs not being supported

Juuuust tried, and it has not.

I pinged the developers directly on this just to make sure they're aware of it.
Bots:
Makerbot Replicator 2x / Sailfish on Mightyboard
Custom C-Bot / RepRap Firmware on RADDS
Custom Tevo Little Monster / RepRap Firmware on Duet
jimmybuckets

Yeah...was able to try it this morning...still the same. They have always been good about getting back to me.
KC_703

Curious if you could set the "Extra Inflation" distance to cover the point? Sorry if this was suggested and shot down...
jimmybuckets

I haven't tried that...I thought it was for making your support a little wider than your model, but who knows?
KC_703

I think it is for making the support wider than the model. :)

But in this case could cover the unsupported overhang... though I think it may not adjust the height of the support to accommodate the slope or point...

Would be interesting to see the preview results... would also be intersting to see how the slope is printed, I have a feeling it might be treated as an internal face (rough finish) without outline underspeed, if applied.
jimmybuckets

Take a look at the factory file I posted. I believe at a 45 degree threshold only the flat bottom suspended cube gets support but only under the flat area. It's not until you change the threshold to 38 degrees that everything gets support.
AK_Eric

Because I battle with this more often than I should: Here's a head a buddy of mine modeled in zbrush for print. With S3D auto support set to 45 deg (which is silly, since my bot can print > 60), I get this:
badSupport.png
So, according to S3D, neither ear (the one on the other side is the same) needs any support under their lobes.

This is wrong on so many levels for "automatic support generation".
Bots:
CompoundCarl

You are just using too large of a pillar resolution. It will support that ear just fine if you use a smaller size. You can't expect it to pick up a thin ear like that with such a large pillar resolution.

If you need help, post the STL and I'll be happy to help ;)
AK_Eric

Thanks CompoundCarl : I lowered the res to 1, and it put support under them. I could complain that the support is too small and sparse now, so I still now need to manually go in and add more support just so the tiny support towers won't try and tip over during print, but at least that's better.

Unfortunately, this doesn't fix my previous issues/examples, where spikes are hanging down, since they terminate at an infinitely small point, they get clipped out of the "s3d support filter" it seems: The feature is still smaller than 1mm (infinitely small at the vertex) so no "automatic" support for you, regardless of what you set the support resolution to.
Bots:
danielhenley

Simplify will not create supports for overhangs that are smaller than it's support pillar resolution. It's one thing where it's slicer is worse than it's competition.

A work around is to import a little platform larger than the support pillar resolution and place it where you need it, that way the supports will be drawn to that object which will in turn hold up the real object.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”