bray.christopher
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:24 pm

Whiskers

Whiskers
Whiskers
It is hard to see in the picture, but there are a ton of whiskers on the part.

I think these are a result of travel moves over open spaces.

I had the "avoid open spaces" feature turned on and set pretty high. Obviously you can't always avoid open spaces.

Can anyone point me to a good explanation of the pros and cons of Retraction vs Wiping vs Coasting?

Are there any down sides to Wiping? Retracting while wiping? Retracting during layer change?

I feel like I should just always have these turned on. Any reason not to?

Thanks.
User avatar
DarthRevan
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:29 am

Re: Whiskers

This explains what each of the mentioned settings does: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1980

Familiarize yourself with the works of KeyboardWarrior. The guy is super helpful.

Coasting helps if pressure buildup is causing you to over extrude at the end of your movements, wiping helps do something with the last bit a filament that cant be retracted because it's to viscous, retract while wiping performs your retraction while the extruder is wiping way the excess (very fancy stuff).

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”