efes
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Parts not only part

Hello

this : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:529837

not with arms basic parts simplify3d ???
Image


repetier in one parts :
Image

bug or setup ?

thank you for helping
User avatar
jimc
Posts: 1124
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:02 pm
Location: mullica, nj
Contact: Website

Re: Parts not only part

the model is 3 separate parts. the designer never joined the arms to the body.
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Parts not only part

I've downloaded the part....and there's fresh air between the arms and the body when I look at it in the preview!!
Capture99.JPG
Edit:
Having looked at the .stl, it's not a straightforward fix. There's only one mesh....so it's not simply a matter of moving the two separate arm meshes so the interlace with the body. The arms are joined by a single line at the top...with a small gap at the bottom.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
KC_703
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Re: Parts not only part

The model is definitely strange at the arms...

A band-aid fix may be setting the "Horizontal Size Compensation" (Other tab) to 0.1. This fixes the gap in the arms so the model will print. But it may adversely affect the fit of the duct....
Tetraodon
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:13 pm

Re: Parts not only part

If you look at the mesh, the gaps are actually in the mesh itself, rather than the software being buggy. It actually seems to think that most where the gap is is manifold, so I suspect it won't be trying to "fill" any gaps.
m2.png
efes
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Re: Parts not only part

I do not know to use 3d software ...
a person who want to help me please ... :oops:
for a single parts
thx
CT4
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:13 am
Location: Sydney Australia

Re: Parts not only part

As every one has said the model is badly drawn. Fixing it would require some serious work. How ever there is a quick and dirty fix that S3D can do.

In the FFF settings go to the other tab and look for Dimensional Adjustments. I have put some screen grabs up to show you as you said that you did not know S3D very well. Normally the setting there is 0.00. I changed this to 0.10 and as the screen shots show it joins the part, I did manage to get it as low as 0.07 and it still worked. Now be aware that this will change the size of your print by 0.07 mm, to be honest I doubt you will notice it on the final print. As I said not the right way to do it but this will get you out of trouble.

S3D is an awesome slicing program, it is very accurate and will show up and reproduce any mistakes in the drawing.
Attachments
This is what you have on your file as you can see there is a gap between the body and the arms, sloppy drawing by the creator if the piece.
This is what you have on your file as you can see there is a gap between the body and the arms, sloppy drawing by the creator if the piece.
This is what you need to change, I managed to get it to close at 0.07mm
This is what you need to change, I managed to get it to close at 0.07mm
Fixed and showing a cross section to show the infill is going all the way over the arm.
Fixed and showing a cross section to show the infill is going all the way over the arm.
efes
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Re: Parts not only part

a big thank-you ! :P
Tetraodon
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:13 pm

Re: Parts not only part

+1 for the horizontal size compensation - I had a look at fixing it in Blender but it was pretty messy unfortunately (not always the best tool for fixing things, though)

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”