Mike_Francies
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:23 pm
Location: Aughton, Lancashire, UK

Translation in Z

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Simplify3D and have read through all the quick start help and some of the forum posts but I cannot find what I am looking for. I need to drop a model half way into the build plate so I can print one half of it. To do this I need to drop it precisely 6.667mm in Z. I can click and drag but there does not seem to be a way of inputting, numerically, the amount of translation (in any axis)

Under 'Tools'/'Options'/'Model' there appears to be a way but has no effect on a model already on the build plate. Can anyone help?

Mike
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Translation in Z

Hi

Double-click on the model in the display screen...and you'll get the model edit window. Then adjust the Z position offset as required.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
Mike_Francies
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:23 pm
Location: Aughton, Lancashire, UK

Re: Translation in Z

dkightley wrote:Hi

Double-click on the model in the display screen...and you'll get the model edit window. Then adjust the Z position offset as required.
Thanks dkightley, I can now position it correctly but it does not seem possible to zero the Z offset. Let me explain, when I bring the model in, it sits nicely on the bed but I need to place the object on its side. Not a problem, just select the side and use the 'Place surface on bed' command offset already in the editing toolbar and it cannot be zeroed. Okay, I just need to add my required offset to the existing one and I am where I want to be but it would be nice to be able to zero the offsets once the model is the right way up on the build plate.

Thanks for the tip, it works nicely.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”