Rebekah_harper
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:25 am

solid layer where there shouldnt be one.

hiya every one.

I have a problem.

this image below is a cross section of a cap. its open at the bottom and has a top solid layer.

for some reason it's put a solid layer at the opening. and as you can see put the support on top.

there is no raft selected so there shouldn't be one. there is no merge outlines into a solid selected.

it simply shouldn't be there but for love nor money can I figure out why it's there.
solid layer.jpg
Attachments
end caps for hose containers.factory
(133.14 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: solid layer where there shouldnt be one.

There must be an error in the mesh. I get exactly the same...but running the shape through NetFabb's online repair service sorts the problem out.

Attached is the repaired stl
Attachments
end caps for hose containers_fixed.stl
(470.98 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
User avatar
jimc
Posts: 1124
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:02 pm
Location: mullica, nj
Contact: Website

Re: solid layer where there shouldnt be one.

x2

try changing the layer height by .01-.02 mm and see if it still does it. many time when this happens the mesh error lines right up with a layer. altering the layer lets it skip the error.
Rebekah_harper
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:25 am

Re: solid layer where there shouldnt be one.

cool, I will try the mesh repair.

I can't go to 0.2mm layer height with a 0.2mm nozzle but the layer height in the FFF should be 0.05mm

cheers

Becky
User avatar
jimc
Posts: 1124
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:02 pm
Location: mullica, nj
Contact: Website

Re: solid layer where there shouldnt be one.

No, change the layer height by .01 to .02mm. Up or down 1 point, doesnt matter
Rebekah_harper
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:25 am

Re: solid layer where there shouldnt be one.

sorry, miss read that.

in the mean time I found out that the dimensional adjustment caused the issue. I sometimes use that to compensate for any slight size issues I missed in the design.

but when I have it at 0 the solid layer doesn't appear.
if there is an issue with the mesh that is emphasized with the above then I wonder what calculations go on in the back ground.
User avatar
jimc
Posts: 1124
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:02 pm
Location: mullica, nj
Contact: Website

Re: solid layer where there shouldnt be one.

S3d is very sensitive to errors in models. This odd slicing behavior is not something new or a problem with the scale functions or anything like that. This has been happening since i started using it in v1.1.5. It seemed to get less sensitive at one point but now its back to being more. That could just be my imagination. Repair of the model is always the best choice but some quick options like i said are to change layer height, scale, first layer height, etc. anything to make the slicing layers land in a different spot on the outer wall of the model.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”