dkightley

Windows 10 USB Connection Question

Reading through a few Windows discussion sites, I thinh I might have spotted a common theme that might point to a possible workaround until Micosoft get a fix sorted.

The USB issues that some are experiencing seem to be due to a fault in the wake from sleep command issued through USB3 hubs....and suggestions have been to connect via a direct USB port as opposed to via a hub.

This has got me wondering if those 3D printer users who are experiencing stuttering, etc, are connected to an USB3 hub...possibly even an add-on USB card.....and those who have not had issues are connected via a non-hub USB connector, eg direct mb connection. I would also question if anyone who connects using older USB, eg USB2, has issues or not.

Any thoughts anyone? Or am I talking rubbish??
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
jimc

Re: Windows 10 USB Connection Question

i am not connected through a hub. im connected to a usb directly on the motherboard. i have mentioned this before and i know many people have had this problem when switching to windows 10 BUT i have been on windows 10 for probably 8mos as i was on their insider program. this issue didnt happen to me pre s3d v3.0. any of the v2 releases didnt have the issue. not saying its an s3d issue but there is something there where 3.0 or newer isnt working right with something they changed in windows 10. It also could be that the issue in windows 10 started with a release that was rolled out the same time as s3d v3.0. That is a very good possibility as well since microsoft was rolling out releases pretty past there towards the end. it really doesnt make a whole bunch of difference to me since i always try to run sd card anyway. the issue is forcing me to keep good habits and keeps me from being lazy and just hitting the print from usb button.
dkightley

Well thanks for your reply.

Now I know I don't have good habits and am lazy...just because I;m not able to print via SD card because my printer has a defective card reader!

I was hoping to spark a discussion that might allow me to circumvent my hardwre issue and upgrade to Win10.....and potentially help other members of the community...but I now wish I hadn't bothered.
Doug Kightley
bbinnard

I have read postings in other forums about this. Apparently Win10 has an issue with USB/Serial connections that has yet to be fixed. The recommended work-around is to use an SD card to print from - and only use the direct printer/PC connection for tests or diagnostics.
BuckeyeVolunteer

I too have been a windows 10 insider since it was released as a test bed. I have had USB problems on and off through out the build process. I still have one machine that is in the testing for win 10 all the others have the full win 10 home on them. Tonight I had a weird problem with simplify 3d but it is my first time using the software so it may and probably is my fault but when I went to print using the USB, I know use the card instead.... but this is after I had printed several things with no problems then it stopped telling thew extruder to heat up. The bed was fine running at 80c, no matter what I did I couldn't get it to turn on. I have a rostock max v2 and the original setup was and is mattercontrol so I decided to try that again and worked fine. I have even had problems with just a normal hp printer screwing up so I think it's not simplify 3d's problem, since I have seen some strange things out of mattercontrol not stopping and some strange movements of it when lowering to print, stutters about halfway down sometimes.
dtmarshall

Not sure I'm buying this. Everything was working fine for me with MatterControl, the only thing I changed was getting Simplify3d.
dtmarshall

Exporting to an SD Card, but then using the resulting gcode file in MatterControl works fine.
CompoundCarl

I have several other programs that use the USB serial ports that also stopped working after I installed Windows 10. I don't know what the heck microsoft did with this one, but it botched up many programs that I use day-to-day. I had to revert back to Windows 7.
dtmarshall

After talking to support, I have this resolved. These are the 3 things I tried, but the third one (USB host controller) was the only one that seemed to fix the problem, although it could have been some combination.

1. Reinstall Driver

[*]If possible, download and install the newest driver from the device manufacturer.
[*]If you're unable to obtain a new driver, continue with these steps.
[*]Using Windows 10 or Windows 8, hold the Widows key and press the 'x' key to open a menu in the lower-left and select "Device Manager." Using Windows 7 or Windows Vista, open the Start Menu, type "Device Manager" in the search field, and press ENTER.
[*]Locate the device and right-click it.
[*]Select "Uninstall."
[*]Reboot the computer.

2. Power Management and USB Controller

[*]Open the Device Manager as explained previously.
[*]Expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers."
[*]Right-click each entry titled "USB Root Hub" and select "Properties."
[*]Change to the "Power Management" tab.
[*]Uncheck the check box next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."
[*]Press "OK."
[*]Repeat this for each "USB Root Hub" entry.
[*]Reboot the computer.

3. Uninstall and Reinstall the USB Controller

[*]Open the Device Manager as explained previously.
[*]Expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers."
[*]Right-click each entry under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and select "Uninstall."
[*]Ensure you've done this for each entry under "Universal Serial Bus controllers."
[*]Reboot the computer (tricky, since by doing this I've disabled my keyboard and mouse).
dkightley

I've just run my first successful USB print on Windows 10 after running through the steps in method 2 above.

I had previously turned off as much power saving as possible through Windows 10 Settings..which I have to conclude is lacking a lot compared with Win7!! What I did was:
1) In Windows Settings - Power& Sleep, set Screen and Sleep to Never
2) Select Additional power settings and select Balanced, & then Change plan settings
3) Select Change advanced power settings & run through ALL items turning power saving off/disabled

I'd run a couple of prints and had the elusive stuttering!!! :x So...I turned to my dodgy SD card method, which has worked okay 95% of the time, and errored with "Check SD card" part way through prints the rest of the time!

I tried method 2 in the above post....and found 2 USB Root Hubs (out of about 8 on my system) with the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." check box set. I unchecked them & rebooted as instructed. And I have one good print....so far!

Hope this helps others.....
Doug Kightley

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”