kiwisam

G-Code Preview not working

I am unable to preview a gcode file since upgrading to version 3.0.0 & 3.0.1. This occurs when selecting Preview G-Code File... from File menu.
The program puts up a message "Simplify 3D.exe has stopped working" "Close the program" as soon as a gcode file is selected.
No problems using 2.2.2 which I still have installed.
Help please.

Sam
jimc

Re: G-Code Preview not working

Make sure your video drivers are up to date. I have a new video card with 4g of of ram on it so i dont have an issue anymore but in previous versions of s3d and before i had a card with inly 1 gig, when i would slice too large or complex an object i would run out of memory and cause a crash or error. Not saying this is the problem. Just an idea though. Atleast check for a driver update though.
mitchfx

I get this on occasion in 2.2.2, 3.0 and 3.0.1. Seems to happen first on larger more complex models and once it occurs I will keep getting black previews and crashing on ALL my files for a time. After restarting S3D several times and loading various factory files then previewing it will eventually get back to normal. It almost seems as if there is some kind of preview cache data that is corrupt when this starts happening since it persists across multiple sessions and models.
kiwisam

Thanks for your responses. However I remain convinced the problem is related to v3 as v2 never fails to create a preview regardless of gcode file size. I am able to recall and preview a file with 8,088,730 lines of code without any problems in v2.2.2 but am unable to preview a file with 629 lines of code in either v3.0.0 or v3.0.1.
I have changed file associations between the the 2 versions using control panel. If I make v2 the default, a double click on the gcode file will produce a preview without fail, but if v3 is the default it always fails. This also applies using the file menu as described in my first post.

Cheers
Sam
arnoldpro

Help -> Reset All Settings and Preview G-Code File works for me.
KC_703

Try a cold boot of the laptop/workstation....
kiwisam

I think I have discovered the cause of the problem I was having previewing G-Code files.
It occurs when exiting preview mode after having selected preview by layer.
If I restart the program, load a model and then go to preview, and choose preview by line before exiting then everything operates as expected without requiring a reset.
I have tried this several times swapping the exit setting and the result is always as anticipated.
Exit after Preview by Line and there are no problems with next preview.
Exit after Preview by Layer and the program always fails.
A bit of a pity really as I always prefer to preview by layer and the fact that V3 remembers closing settings is nice new feature.

Cheers

Sam

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”