kencfii

Where are profiles stored?

Hello:
Where are the profiles I create stored?

On local machine or online?

I see I can export them as an FFF file.
If I want a backup copy or copy to another machine do I have to do that or are they saved locally automatically too?

Thanks!
bbinnard

Re: Where are profiles stored?

As far as I can tell, no one has been able to find them. That suggests to me they are stored in the registry.
kencfii

Hmm,
Thanks...
Would just like to have copies.. in case.

Would be great if they are stored in the cloud but would also like local copies - if we need to export them one at a time OK - not elegant but OK.

Any answers from the Gurus? please...

No doubt that this is the best 3D printing software out there....

I was not keen on no trial version but I am hooked....

Leeapfrog recently went to materialise - that is a mess! UGH

Thanks
jimc

Export them. Export is how you save them to your computer.
Gemelon

For me, this is not a great idea. If the computer crashs all the last changes are lost. This is hapened to me. Before I stored the Profiles at a save location.
ludwig100

How to export profiles to an another computer!
From the "old" computer where you have your profiles:
Open Regedit and rightclick on
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Simplify3D and choose Export.
Save the .reg-file and move the saved file to the computer you want to "install" the profiles.

Close S3D before next step!!
Doubbleclick on the .reg-file to import the settings. (Maybe you have to start it as administrator)
Open S3D and voilá. Your settings are now in the list.

BE CARE WITH REGEDIT! DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!
LeonMF

Wait, the profiles are stored in the registry? That is one of the craziest things I've ever heard.

Simplify3D simply has no rational profile management plan, which is tragic since the rest of the software is so good.
billyd

+1 the profile system in S3D is a gigantic mess and needs to be taken back to formula.

I had a CTD recently and lost all my profiles. Yes I know I should have backed them up but if they were simply stored as typical files in a specific location the odds of anything happening to them is minimal.

Why all the cloak and dagger with the profiles? It's ridiculous.
Ursadorable

billyd wrote:+1 the profile system in S3D is a gigantic mess and needs to be taken back to formula.
+1

It's ridiculous.. I can't tell what options gets saved between High, Medium and Fast quality settings, or materials.

Honesty, they should be broken out into separate windows.

Material and Quality settings should should augment (and preferably show the difference between) the default Machine settings, but never replace the machine defaults. If you need a global change, it should be changed in the machine settings, and globally effect all material and quality profiles. Nothing worse than having to tweek the g-code settings, and then change them for all my profiles.

I'd also like to see the gcode have more variables for different profile values, like pre-heat settings. Maybe I'm the only one that sees this because my printer has auto-cleaning and auto-bed levelling. Cleaning the nozzle requires a different temp between PLA and ABS for instance.

But yeah, my frustration with S3D is completely with the profile system. Slicing functionality works fantastic.

And please for heaven's sake.. save the profiles to the filesystem, not the cloud or registry.
lithgowlights

Oh great, so I just had a slight registry error and rolled back to a working version and ALL of my settings are gone. I had 50+ setups all tuned to perfection, now they are toast. Yes I backed up all the data from the other files, but not the registry so thanks a lot for such poor design.

Now I know I'll have to export them a lot more often

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”