maarten74
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:00 pm

stringing and retraction issues?...

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a FF creator pro and have been loving every second printing with simplify3d. My prints have turned out really well thus far. I have started to experiment with dual extrusion and I am having some issues. I have read many of the forums and have experimented with many different settings, but I cannot fix my stringing issues. As you can see in the image, I believe stringing is causing "bleeding" between the yellow and black filaments.

My current settings are as follows:
Layer: 0.2mm
Filament: Hatchbox PLA
Temp: 192
Retraction: 2.0mm
Retraction speed: 1600mm/min

I am using ooze shield and prime pillar. For ooze control behavior, I have "only retract when crossing open spaces" and "force retraction between layers" checked. I tried checking "min travel for retraction" at 2.0mm, but did not really see a difference in the preview; I have never printed with this setting checked. I have tried with and w/o the coast setting at 0.2mm without any luck.

Any help is appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_20151011_195716.jpg
JoeJ
Posts: 1435
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:52 am

Re: stringing and retraction issues?...

I've used about 2mm of retraction vertical lift before which helped a lot, especially on the very top layer. It doesn't matter as much in the middle, but it can help avoid the black getting pulled across the yellow top surface.
maarten74
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:00 pm

Re: stringing and retraction issues?...

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try. Is it possible that these are not points where retraction occurs? From the preview, it looks like there is retraction, but none of the changes I have made have really made a difference with retraction settings.
JoeJ
Posts: 1435
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:52 am

Re: stringing and retraction issues?...

The preview doesn't lie ;)

I think the vertical lift will help, but you can also try a larger retraction distance if you want and maybe even a slightly higher retraction speed to help suck the filament back into the nozzle before moving.
maarten74
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:00 pm

Re: stringing and retraction issues?...

Thanks for the suggestions. Vertical lift seemed to do the trick. I tried messing with retraction distance and speed, without much luck.
wfcook
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:32 pm

Re: stringing and retraction issues?...

I also recommend turning on the Coast feature, which is like magic when it comes to reducing strings.
maarten74
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:00 pm

Re: stringing and retraction issues?...

wfcook wrote:I also recommend turning on the Coast feature, which is like magic when it comes to reducing strings.

What would you recommend for coast settings?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”