RobinS
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:33 pm

E3D v6 retraction / oozing settings

Hello,

I am a new user of S3D and like the software but now have run several times into retraction issues, that I am not used to have with Slic3r and Cura, as they do not seem to retract that often (when I compare gcode files with the S3D preview window).
At this point in time I can see all retraction points that are marked in the preview window directly into my print as small or large blobs.
I read that this could be solved by optimizing the retraction/ oozing settings .

For the moment I have translated my Slic3r and Cura into S3D settings but there are several other parameters that effect retraction.
As I saw some posts of other E3D users on the forum, I was wondering if some would like to share there settings and give me a quick start.
I do not expect that someone elses settings will immediately solve my issues, as there will be an machine and filament factor involved as well, but it for sure will point me in the right direction.
My setup:
K8200
3mm Wades direct drive extruder
E3Dv6 with 0.4 mm nozzle

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards,

Robin
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: E3D v6 retraction / oozing settings

Can you post a picture of the print?
RobinS
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:33 pm

Re: E3D v6 retraction / oozing settings

Here are some photos of my print.
There is some ringing with the letters due an heavy platform.
I found the seam align option yesterday just before I posted, but this will not solve the massive blobs.
I also found an irregular pattern on one of the sides, between where there are retracts moves visible on the preview window.

My settings:
retraction distance: 1.4 mm
extra restart distance: 0,1mm
retraction vertical lift: 0 mm
retraction speed: 30 mm /s

v only retract when crossing open spaces
v force retraction between layers
v minimum travel for retraction 2,5 mm
v perform retraction during wipe movement

Thanks Robin
IMG_20151019_210757.jpg
IMG_20151019_211027.jpg
IMG_20151019_211059.jpg
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: E3D v6 retraction / oozing settings

Don't use a positive extra restart distance. Make that negative! For example, using -0.1mm for the extra restart distance will extrude less plastic during the priming movement. If you extrude too much there, it will create a blob.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”