Viceman

Is it easier to remove ABS part from cold or hot bed?

I've made few test myself, but I have not noticed major difference. But which one it is generally?
magicwiser

Re: Is it easier to remove ABS part from cold or hot bed?

I find cold for sure. When it cools down, it shrinks so that shrinking will help it pop off the bed. Personally, when a print finishes I turn on a fan to cool it down quickly. Without fail, the quick contracting pops it off the bed no problem.
danielhenley

Definitely cold, sometimes when I have a part that's really stuck on my glass bed I remove it and put it in the freezer for a 15 minutes, then it just pops right off.
Viceman

Thanks guys, somehow I thought it would be cold. But sometimes my print stuck into bed so hard that it always ruins the tape im using. :x even I let my bed cooldown.
bapro

Use a cheap tape and ABS-slurry, it´s great.
Don´t think you need the tape if it´s smaller prints.
Viceman

I just printed mixed part with PLA and ABS, and got the first layer to stick in 60 degree bed. After print I put cold packs from fridge around the part it surely popped out easily. I have a cheap tape in my shopping list, but I think I will use those stickers which came with the printer first. But it is always better if I can use same stickers longer.
dorgeman

I used to print on Kapton tape with ABS and had a lot of issues with removing the parts - especially large parts. I often found they stuck to the tape even when they cooled off. I often had to destroy the tape and/or the part to get them off the heated bed. I sometimes had luck rubbing an ice cube on the part to try to rapidly cool the part and pop it off the tape. Eventually, I abandoned the tape and went to printing on various glass surfaces (I am using borosilicate right now, but I have had great luck with cheap float glass or mirror in the past). With that, the part pops off cleanly once it cools. The problem is that it is harder to get the filament to stick while printing. There are all sorts of solutions to that - ABS slurry, glue sticks, hair spray...

Of course, what is an option for you will depend on your printer and its capabilities. If you have a glass print surface, I would recommend trying to move to printing directly on the glass without any tape. If you do, I would recommend trying to use a glue stick to make the filament stick. You can find many posts on the Internet describing how to use the glue stick and which type to get.

-David
ABSolutely

Many folks have tried the range of 'ways' to do it. Recently I ran out of the stuff I dialed-in and tried a glue stick my wife used for general use - WOW!!! :D No kidding - I tossed everything else and now only use this stuff - It holds really well during the print and when parts cooled, they freed up by themselves. Easy bed cleaning and no need to put it on thick. I recently bought a box of it

Have only printed ABS so I have no other filament experience with it... But, no distortion on circular / other parts and suspect you can afford $2 to try it out...

AVERY Permanent Glue Stic #00196
bapro

I have never tryed gluestick. Does it work on big parts to?
ABSolutely

Largest part I printed is 6.5 in diameter and no problems using glue stick. You can always try it and toss it if you don't like it... :lol:

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”