CompoundCarl

Re: G-Code Editor & Pause Command

jeevesme@hotmail.com wrote:Having a pause command that i could use to insert the pause command at layer X would be awesome. I wouldn't have to keep checking my print every X amount of times to see when i need to manually pause the print on the machine.
That's already easy to do. For example, to insert a pause command at layer 57, just add the command below into your "commands for post-processing" section (on the Scripts tab)

{REPLACE "; layer 57\n" "; layer 57\nM0\n"}

That inserts the M0 command right before layer 57 starts, and that will automatically pause the print if you are using USB.
claytonc2001

I recently purchased Simplify3D because of all the hype. It is very capable, easy to use and extremely customizable. However, I have read several threads where people would refer people to use cura to insert a pause using the "Pause at layer" plugin. What is so hard about adding this into Simplify3D? Everyone wants this feature and it seems pretty easy to implement. I don't want to have to edit the Gcode. And I refuse the use Cura after purchasing Simplify3D for 150 bucks.
Please add this feature in the next release :) or something similar like maybe a customizable pause
I'm using Marlin firmware on my Robo3DR1+. So, M600 (Which has been experimental for several years now), Whats going on with that? A filament change is what I'm really after and M600 is exactly that. It stops, lifts, moves to change location, and waits for your input before continuing. Its better than a pause as a pause will keep the hotend at the exact spot you paused it causing a melted spot which is never good.
parachutist

claytonc2001 wrote:I recently purchased Simplify3D because of all the hype. It is very capable, easy to use and extremely customizable. However, I have read several threads where people would refer people to use cura to insert a pause using the "Pause at layer" plugin. What is so hard about adding this into Simplify3D? Everyone wants this feature and it seems pretty easy to implement. I don't want to have to edit the Gcode. And I refuse the use Cura after purchasing Simplify3D for 150 bucks.
Please add this feature in the next release :) or something similar like maybe a customizable pause
I'm using Marlin firmware on my Robo3DR1+. So, M600 (Which has been experimental for several years now), Whats going on with that? A filament change is what I'm really after and M600 is exactly that. It stops, lifts, moves to change location, and waits for your input before continuing. Its better than a pause as a pause will keep the hotend at the exact spot you paused it causing a melted spot which is never good.

Agreed. Apps automate mundane things such as checking syntax to make sure my pause command will do what I intend it to. Is it better for me to wait 4 hours til the print gets to my manually-entered pause command, or better for me to see the pause depicted in the preview screen before I start printing? The latter seems like a superior alternative. Simplify3D should do as its name suggests and simplify the process of pausing at at specific layer.
filip

Another +1 for both.

Yes, it's already possible to edit the gcode as a post process, and it's easy, but not simple.
After all, you have to dig around forums to even get at the suggested post processing syntax. Definitely not self-explanatory.

(BTW is there any guide or documentation regarding the scripting and the syntax supported other than users' post in the forum?)
CompoundCarl

All of the scripting commands and options are documented here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1959
theDiver

+1 and better fancy gcode plugin/adding should be added
Mtech

Another +1 for both.

It would be really useful to see the generated g code file in simply3d and be able to add g-code for a purpose at X layer and once done show the result in Simply3d preview.
A typo or an incorrect command in the added code could be an expensive mistake or at least an unexpected result.
Seems daft to have to load up the modified g code file into another software package to preview the changes.

Much better to do it in house.
Creative3D

+1 for text g-code previewer / editor
GlenDavidMiller

I'll support this as well.

It would be great to run the simulation so that we know where we are stopping. To say, "Hey, it's easy to stop on this layer and..." might be true, but what if we don't know the layer.

For example, I am often running prints and get down to the last 15 minutes of a print only to discover I may have 2 minutes of filament left. To be able to pause, then have the chance to re-load and prime the head, then pick up the print where it left off - dear lord.

Because it's a pain in the butt to attempt to splice filament together during a print. About 50% of the time it works - and about 50% of the time I loose 8 to 10 hours of printing and waste a lot of PLA!

-Glen
dwallersv

Wow, old old thread, and it looks like none of this ever happened. I'll add my name to the list requesting this. Actually, a bit more of a "helper" as others have described that would insert the appropriate code lines for pseudo-code (lift, retract, etc.), and be extensible with custom macros.

That would be REALLY valuable.

Return to “Feature Requests”