jimc

z height bed lvl calibration file

i posted this over on the makergear group so i wanted to add it here as well. this was designed for the makergear m2. i know we have people here with other types of printers and it may work for them as well. it measures 150mm x 200mm. hopefully it will help some people out.

so it seems alot of people have trouble getting their z-height adjusted properly and bed leveled, myself included so i made a gcode calibration file to assist with this. this is sized specifically for the m2 bed size. i attached a pic of the file so you can see what i have goin on. this will print a single layer of what you see in the pic, 2 lines wide. the outer 3 boxes are for you to fine tune your bed level. this whole thing prints real slow so you can make small tweaks while its printing. if you lines are squished on one corner but high and round on another then you can visibly see that and adjust accordingly. the boxes, 0.0 and the center line all print at your currently set z-height. the other stripes are printed at their labeled height. your m4 z-height adjustment screw should have a thread pitch of .7mm so basically if you turn your screw in either direction 1/2 a flat on the head you will adjust the bed roughly .05mm. just run the gcode, see what you got and which way you need to move and by how much. keep in mind this is to FINE tune the machine. you'll need to get it close before hand. another note is i have the layers set at .15 and temps are set more for abs. enjoy!!!

zbedlvl.gcode
(19.17 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 9.46.47 PM.png
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Re: z height bed lvl calibration file

Hey, jimc! Could you post the STL so folks with other printers could try it? Or the .Factory file....

Thanks!
Dale
jimc

Dale i could and i thought about it but each item in the pic, all 11 of them are seperate stls with a different process added to each one. Even if i posted them all you would still have to arrange them in creator and set the processes up.

Sorry for the ignorance but whats a .factory file? That doesnt sound familiar
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

jimc, I believe the .Factory file basically contains everything in the "print job" -- the STLs (or whatever source files you imported), the FFFs, and the generated GCode. Think of it like a "project" file, like some microcontroller / software development environments use.

Clayton / S3D, please correct me if I have that wrong....

Dale
jimc

dale, i took this and used creator to save it as a .factory file type. try this out and see if this works.

is a factory file a standard file format that other slicers or printer interfaces can open or is it strictly a creator file type?

zbedlvl.factory
(479.65 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
kurios_oranj

s3d.png
Hey Jimc,

nice idea, not certain i can implement it yet, the factory file seems to produce a pattern that goes off the plate. anybody else see this? i also have the M2
jimc

Thats odd, i dont get that although i have not tried it since 2.0 came out. Im away for the holiday. Ill check it when i get home and see. If it does it i will reset everything and upload a new file.
Tshulthise

I'm not exactly sure what we are going for here but try this one. Everything is labeled. Its small enough that you can print one in each corner of the bed of most printers. Or you can print multiples, each with a different process to see what settings works best. One .STL includes labels. One doesn't. Use the one without labels for copies to save print time.

LAYER HEIGHT CALIBRATION PRINT with labels https://www.dropbox.com/s/ca4du6u3egxsv ... 0PRINT.stl
LAYER HEIGHT CALIBRATION PRINT without labels https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgc2aror8inr2 ... LABELS.stl

Example of how you might arrange them on the bed (MakerGear M2 bed shown) https://www.dropbox.com/s/5cly0vpde3fp6 ... 20SNIP.PNG

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”