Simplify3D
Site Admin

Simplify3D Version 2.0 Now Available!

Looks like Christmas is coming early here at Simplify3D! As many of you already know, the new version 2.0 software update is now available to all existing customers. This significant update was many months in the making and includes several significant improvements and new features.

Most notably is the addition of complete direct USB support for Makerbot and Sailfish printers. Gain full control of your Makerbot machine using the software's full-featured Machine Control Panel. You can preheat the machine, jog the axes, or even stream your x3g files directly to the printer using your USB cable. We are also including all new upgraded profiles for the Replicator 1, 2, and 2X. These new profiles took months of testing but they provide truly amazing results, even at extreme layer heights like 0.1mm! It's a significant upgrade for these printers and shows our continued commitment to provide the best compatibility in the industry.

The new version also includes several new printing modes to expand the capabilities of your machine.
  • A new corkscrew printing mode creates beautiful single outline parts by slowly incrementing the Z-axis during printing. No more layer change marks!
  • New sequential printing mode for multi-part printing. This helps improve the surface finish of your parts by allowing your machine to focus on one part at a time instead of constantly switching between models. It also improves reliability since one part could fail without affecting the other parts of your build.
  • Great new option for printing 2 or 3 very fine outline layers while still printing just one thick infill layer. This lets you have a high quality surface finish while still achieving great printing times.
Other notable improvements are the vastly improved ooze control settings. This gives you much better control over retractions and also includes a new wipe feature to help clean your nozzle before moving to a new location. There are lots of other new goodies like automatic mesh repair and improved build animations - but we will leave some of the surprises for you to find ;)

For more details, you can find the complete release notes below:
http://www.simplify3d.com/changelog/

As always, please follow the instructions in your original license email to download the latest release.

Happy Printing!
Hansie

Re: Simplify3D Version 2.0 Now Available!

Thanks for an awesome update, specially the support for new printers like the LeapFrog Creatr ...!
The corkscrew printing method sounds cool, can't wait to try it!

Only problem I'm running into, with a Leafrog Creatr, is that when using the profile it never starts to print.
Possibly because the bed temperature is set to 100C, whereas as mine can barely reach 90C.
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Hansie,

Try unchecking the box for waiting for temperature to stabilize. Checking that box makes the printer wait until the temperature stabilizes AT SETPOINT (100 C), not just until it is "steady". Disadvantage is you have to wait for your printer to come up to temp before starting the print, because it won't wait!

Dale
Hansie

Hi Dale - thanks for the feedback,

you're right, my bed never goes beyond 91C ... which can be changed in the profile ...
I'm curious if the lack of temperature could be the cause of my printing issues though.
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Hansie,

What material are you trying to print? For ABS, yeah, you may need to get to 100 C or so to keep things stuck down, or try some other surfaces to print on. For PLA, you shouldn't have to go much above about 70 C.

Also, might not hurt to get an "independent" measurement of the bed temperature. If you have the type of thermometer with a metal stick sensing element, you could tape it to the bed with Kapton tape. (If you're like me, you don't have one of those "Flir" infrared cameras!) I got a multimeter some years ago that came with a (thermocouple type) temperature probe that I use.

I haven't checked out the LeapFrog Creatr, so I don't know how much room there might be to add some kind of insulating material under the bed to help hold heat. Or build an enclosure or shield to reduce drafts (if it doesn't have one already) -- just be careful not to overheat other parts of the machine, like electronics, steppers, etc.

Good luck!
Dale
Hansie

Thanks again Dale!

The Leapfrog Creatr has only openings on the front and the top; I simply cover those up during heating of the bed with a garbage bag. Definitely speeds up heating, but never exceeds 91 C.

ABS is indeed the biggest drama. PLA works ... kind-off ... if it sticks to the bed ;-)
I'll be toying a bit more and see where it gets me ... love the Simplify 3D software though ;-)
david137

Dale,

Get some Plexiglas from Home Depot and cut to fit top and front (put a lip with another small piece of Plexiglas at the bottom on the front and unscrew the front bottom a bit and it will fit inside - with the top it keeps this from falling out.

Line the Plexiglas with aluminum foil (a few layers) and make a cover for the bed of a few layers. You can heat over 100C with this.
slipshine

Can you tell me if there was any improvement when using a manual extrusion diamater. There used to be a problem with some calculations if you manually set this.
Kenzu

slipshine wrote:Can you tell me if there was any improvement when using a manual extrusion diamater. There used to be a problem with some calculations if you manually set this.
For me it works like it should with manual extrusion width, wich did not work in 1.5.5. :-) So i would say it's been fixed.
Flateric

For me this is the first version that really puts the Creator software head and shoulders above the other slicers out there.

Blobing seems to be a thing of the past, everything has really come together nicely.

It has made a real difference on my Rostock/bowden setup and print quality is great.

My one minor issue seems to be with getting the machine control panel to show extruder temps and allow control of my repetier firmware controled printer.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”