bigfella

Starting Simplify 3d in ubuntu

Hi I am a unix Noob. Can anyone tell be how to start ubantu from desktop instead of the terminal. Currently I have to run it as Superuser in the term I would love to have a link on the desktop.
Thank
Matt
TenKOhms

Re: Starting Simplify 3d in ubuntu

enter the command startx
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Hey, bigfella! (And 10k!)

Here's what I did, thanks to help from a couple more experienced users than myself, who posted all the key pieces on the MakerGear forum. I use Linux Mint on a Dell notebook; it's an Ubuntu-based distro, so these instructions should work (maybe with tweaks) for your setup.

There are three main things you need to do:

1. Set up security on the appropriate S3D files to enable public execute.
2. Create a shell script file, somewhere in your standard execution path, which starts S3D.
3. Create a desktop launcher (shortcut icon) that fires off the shell script.

Here are the detailed steps I follow in Linux Mint 13 64-bit Cinnamon --- make adjustments for your distro, file manager, desktop manager, etc., etc.:

1a. Open a Terminal window.
1b. Change directory to where S3d is installed. On my system, I didn't change from the default installation folder: /opt/Simplify3D-2.1.1

cd /opt/Simplify3D-2.1.1

1c. Enable public execution on the files Simplify3D and libinterface.so

sudo chmod go+rx libInterface.so <--- enter your password if/when prompted
sudo chmod go+rx Simplify3D

2a. In your windowing file manager, navigate to "File System" (root of file system, or "/".
2b. Open the folder usr.
2c. In that folder, open the folder local
2d. In that folder, right-click on the folder bin and select "Open as root". Enter your password.
2e. In that folder (/usr/local/bin), right-click on the workspace and select "Create new document" | "Empty document". Name it "StartSimplify3D"
2f. Right-click on the new document in the folder and select properties. Go to the selector for "Others" and allow read. Check the box that says "Allow executing file as program".
2g. Double-click the icon. If you get a box to select Run or Display the file, select Display.
2h. In your text editor, place the following text in the file:

#!/bin/bash
cd /opt/Simplify3D-2.1.1
./Simplify3D

2i. Save and close the file.
2j. As a test, double-click the file icon and select Run. Simplify3D should start.

3a. Right-click on your desktop and select "Create a new launcher here".
3b. For the "Name", enter: Simplify3D.
3c. For the "Command", enter: /usr/local/bin/StartSimplify3D
3d. For the "Comment", enter whatever you like. I have: Start Simplify3D Software
3e. Click on the icon to bring up the "Choose an icon" dialog. Navigate to and select the icon /opt/Simplify3D-2.1.1/icon.png
3f. Click OK on all the open stuff.

Double-click the "Simplify3D" launch icon on your desktop and S3D should launch.

One last thing: in order to communicate via USB with your printer, your account needs to be a member of the "dialout" group --- use your distro's administration tool for Users and Groups to set that up.

Now we just need the Simplify3D installation to do all this. Or work like a standard "package" install that accomplishes the same thing --- adds it to desktop, menu, etc.

Hope this helps! Sorry if it's a little "too" detailed or if the details don't exactly match your distro.
Dale
bigfella

Thanks Dale awesome post. unfortunately I am getting stumped at the right click open as root I'm not getting the option. but hopefully I will nut my way through. there must be a way
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Okay, different file manager or desktop manager, I guess. In my old Linux Mint 11 / Gnome2 system, if I right-click on a folder, there is an "Open as administrator" option:
Folder /usr/local, opening ./bin as admin
Folder /usr/local, opening ./bin as admin
On my notebook, Linux Mint 13 / Cinnamon, it's "Open as root". Not sure what straight Ubuntu (Unity? Gnome 3? Gnome 2? Other?) uses...

In section 2, you might try building the script (text file) in your home folder, then opening up a terminal window and using the "su" command to become superuser. Then copy it over to /usr/local/bin. Use the chown command to change ownership of the file, and the chmod command to change file attributes to executable by all (like in part 1).

(I'm an old MS-DOS 5.0 and Microware OS-9/6809 user, so I'm used to doing stuff like this on the command line...)

Also, in Terminal, you can type "man chown" to read the "manual" for this command to understand the command line switches/options and syntax. Similarly, "man chmod"...

I've played a little bit with Mint / KDE, Mint / LXDE, Mint / MATE, Zorin, and barely touched a couple other distros, and they're all pretty different with the details on the file managers, but all file managers pretty much expose the same underlying file system capabilities. So it's probably in there.......... somewhere! ;-)

Dale
bigfella

Thanks Dale.
I ended up contacting support and the sorted me out.
Find bellow

Hi Matt,

I will be happy with assisting you enable the Simplify3D Software without having to open it through the Terminal. The elite and more tech-savvy users at the office love running it through linux! They have created a script that should enable the desktop shortcut to run without any super user permissions or executing through the terminal, I have attached the script file for you to run.

In order to run the file I have attached, please download it, then open a terminal window. Assuming you have kept it in the Downloads directory, in the Terminal, enter:
cd Downloads

Then do:
sudo chmod +x EnableDesktopShortcut.sh

Then:
./EnableDesktopShortcut.sh

please note, the last command listed above is run as a regular user and does not have the sudo prefix. You will be asked for a sudo password. After you enter it and the script finishes, you should be able to double click the Desktop Icon and run the Simplify3D Software.

Here is the link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/btj05p9g9yyms ... hortcut.sh

Cheers Matt
TenKOhms

bigfella wrote:Thanks Dale.
I ended up contacting support and the sorted me out.
Find bellow

Hi Matt,

I will be happy with assisting you enable the Simplify3D Software without having to open it through the Terminal. The elite and more tech-savvy users at the office love running it through linux! They have created a script that should enable the desktop shortcut to run without any super user permissions or executing through the terminal, I have attached the script file for you to run.

In order to run the file I have attached, please download it, then open a terminal window. Assuming you have kept it in the Downloads directory, in the Terminal, enter:
cd Downloads

Then do:
sudo chmod +x EnableDesktopShortcut.sh

Then:
./EnableDesktopShortcut.sh

please note, the last command listed above is run as a regular user and does not have the sudo prefix. You will be asked for a sudo password. After you enter it and the script finishes, you should be able to double click the Desktop Icon and run the Simplify3D Software.

Here is the link

Cheers Matt
hey matt your dropbox link isnt working for me, anyway you could re-upload?
Last edited by TenKOhms on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfella

New Link. Fingers Crossed

If Not.
Make a file with this

#!/bin/bash
echo "Changing to Simplify3D Software Directory..."
cd /opt/Simplify3D-2.1.1
echo "Done."
echo "Allowing permissions..."
sudo chmod go+rwx Simplify3D
sudo chmod go+rwx libInterface.so
sudo chmod go+rwx LaunchScript.sh
echo "Done."
echo "Allowing user to access Serial Ports..."
sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER
echo "Done."
echo "Checking for working directory..."
cd /home/$USER/.local/share
mkdir Simplify3D
mkdir Simplify3D/Creator
sudo chmod -R go+rwx Simplify3D
echo "mkdir complete."
echo "If you see mkdir fail, directory exists, this is normal."
echo "Script finished. Open the Simplify3D shortcut on the Desktop and... Happy printing! -Simplify3D Software Team."
itsnotlevel

This is still an issue with install on Linux mint....Ubuntu...and you offer a script to fix the problem and it works! But can you guys make the effort to let all this happen with the .run file...Show some extra effort for our love of Linux. Sometimes i just want to install something and have it work...even as a linux user, without having to write or find a fix... :D
And with this being paid software, it warrants the extra attention.

Thanks!
CompoundCarl

This thread is almost 2 years old at this point. I don't think you need to do any of this stuff anymore. The new instructions are already listed on the S3D downloads page. To install the software, you just unzip the file and then run the following commands:

cd /path/to/your/installer
sudo ./Simplify3D-3.0.2-linux-x64-instaler.run

Then the easiest way to run the software is using the launch script they provide
cd /opt/Simplify3D-3.0.2/
sudo ./LaunchScript.sh

There's lots of extra security layers in Linux. For example, serial ports and global app directories are frequently not allowed to be used by non-root users. So the software isn't going to automatically give access to all those things to random users on your machine. You have to choose whether you want that or not.

If you decide you want to grant access to other users (i.e. not the root user), they provide a script for that. So login as whatever user you wish to have access to the software and then do:
cd /opt/Simplify3D-3.0.2/
sudo ./AddUserPermissions.sh

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”