furicks

Re: Slicer behavior for thin walled sections

We've been having this discussion for long enough that It really seems like Simplify3D should have implemented it. I often print parts which require errors less than 0.1mm so I can appreciate accuracy.

However, I do a lot of printing for clients who want to create models of existing products for trade shows or concept renderings of a part to be manufactured later. In these scenarios, I have no access to the original design files so to say "just fix your model" is not an acceptable answer. Additionally, to leave of large sections of models (the current slicer behavior) is also not an acceptable answer.

I can't see any situation where it is more acceptable to have no part printed than to have a single extrusion thickness printed. If you were expecting a wall of 0.4mm and it came out 0.6mm because of the size of your nozzle you have created a part that is dramatically more accurate than a wall which printed at 0.0mm thick. Not to mention printing 0.0mm thick means other parts of the model will not print correctly, further reducing accuracy.

To say it's more accurate to print nothing is a false argument. Please Simplify fix this behavior ASAP!
tenaja

As I have stated above, I agree.

One sw feature that would make this feature infinitely more user-friendly is to make the preview colors different (i.e. red) for the over-printed thin section.
WiBean

+1 on this one.

I really hate that with a 0.5mm extrusion width setting a 0.5mm wall is NOT printed and with a 0.49mm ext.w. the wall is 0.98 in the end, because S3D goes around twice...

Please change that!
wfcook

Alex of Slic3r has been working on this. and you can see the results here:

https://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r/issues ... -198766557

It would be great to have something similar in Simplify3D.
ozpete81

+1 toggle for thin detail/wall support for me

This is frustrating, I end up using other slicers even though I paid for this!!! I don't do engineering, but model trains (in several scales hence some models are scaled down with thin walls), its the likeness that is important over the dimensional accuracy in many cases, so the argument comes down to the market segment Simplify3D are targeting.
If they don't implement a solution to this then they loose this market. I've already warned off several people from buying this software for this reason (two sales for sure... this is costing you money now Simplify3D).
I get "better" prints (for representation of thin details) off my old Cube3D ver2. with Cubify slicer, and I know my FFCP is capable of so much more with the 0.3mm nozzle all metal hot end I have.
If you do fix this I will tell more people to buy your software for sure!
Reading this string I can see although this software is supposed to be user friendly it isn't if it can cope with a fudge factor when necessary. Even if there was an adjustable drop down toggle like "slice thin walls under (select eg. 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4mm) and print at minimum wall thickness", then people could dial in the dimensional accuracy.
furicks

Just to cast another vote for this. I'm running into the problem with another customer file. I've printed 90% of the job onto to discover that the very last piece has thin walls and won't print. Not wont print correctly but won't print at all.

So now I will have to reverse engineer the part and make the walls thicker. A major hassle.

I assume Simplify3d is still in development although it would be a tragedy if it wasn't. This is the best slicer out there! Why are there no company responses to this issue?
jeevesme@hotmail.com

I've asked multiple times about when the next update is and have never gotten even an estimate.
Jogimus

I'm in same boat too...Purchased Simplify3d and first print was generally ok'ish but missed thin details that free Makerbot software printed :cry:

There really should be setting to allowing that, even if it would not be absolutely correct.. well I have 2 weeks to think if this is a deal breaker..
zemlin

I scanned the thread and didn't see mention of it, but a related issue I ran into recently is a thin wall getting two passes when there's only room for one - and I only wanted one. Was trying to get a thin wall at .3mm thick using a .25mm nozzle. If it had printed single passes as shown in the preview it would have work, but it would do a down and back at the same Z level resulting in the wall printing at .5mm thick.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5017
Section31

Bumping this. I can certainly use that feature.

Return to “Feature Requests”