tomlombardi

My custom M2 profile

I've been playing with some of the Creator profile settings for my stock M2 using PLA. I'm NOT an expert, I just wanted to share what's been working for me with others. It would be great to have a thread discussing what works and what doesn't.

What's different about this profile:
First layer is %120 thicker, this helps adhesion and leveling.
I run 185 for PLA.
Firmware supports G2/G3 is checked, because it does.
Custom start and end code by Ketil does a nice extrude and wipe in the beginning and a cooling routine at the end, I shortened the cooling passes and kept the fans running.
Active cooling always on and set to 65% (which is around 12 volts to the big fan)
Bridge speed multipier is set to 160%

Currently I'm getting great prints. The people behind Creator have a great product and are very responsive to feedback.

*****Please see the latest post for my most recent profile******
Attachments
M2_custom.fff.zip
(1.36 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
Last edited by tomlombardi on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ketil

Re: My custom M2 profile

Thanks for the cred. :)

I've had better results with bridging at lower speeds actually. It seemed that getting time to cool on the way was better than zipping across.

How are your prints better than the ones sliced with slic3r? I've only really printed a cube and some small test parts that were broken by the (now fixed) temperature monitor bug, but I didn't get great results using the sample M2 config.
tomlombardi

Thanks for the tip on bridging. I didn't say they are better than Slic3r, but I think they're on the right track.

It was a really rough start for me too, I checked "monitor temperature" on the first print and my M2 was going crazy, I'm glad they fixed that quickly. I'm hoping they keep improving Creator and if they do I'll keep using it. Clayton has been very responsive to my suggestions and this has me hopeful.
Tom
Simplify3D
Site Admin

I'm going to go ahead and sticky this so new users can find the profile. If anyone else has some successful settings, feel free to post them here!
whoDat

I used this config with the following settings. Any suggestions on what I should modify when looking at the linked photo? Thanks!!

Filament: 1.75mm
Layer Height: .35mm
Bed: 80c
Extruder: 195c

http://imagebin.org/251131
slipshine

Try printing it at a .25 layer height. I would not recomend anything over .3
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Agreed. 0.35 is really high. The software will actually warn you if you try to print with too low of a width/height ratio. Those temps are also a little high in my experience, but you're not too far off.
Frankenbeans

I've never had to run my extruder at 195c for PLA. I've gotten close to 190 with some 3mm on an older printer, but with any of my makergear flavored extruders I rarely go more than 2 degrees either side of 185c.

I will however vary bed temp depending on the environment, but generally not more than 10 degrees either side of "normal" (~60c).

For a change of pace last night I switched over to some nice red ABS, ran it through my M2 at recommended settings and got shockingly precise prints.
tomlombardi

1.0.6 is really good, I've stopped falling back on Slic3r and Pronterface and I'm now using Creator exclusively. They've come a long way fast and I think if they keep it up this will be the only game in town.

Here is the latest profile I've been printing with.
Attachments
M2_custom.fff.zip
Latest as of Mar 30 2013
(1.37 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
mathisyourfriend

Is it just me? I downloaded Tom's .fff file with his settings but Preview won't read it. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”