ml3dprints
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:28 pm

cannot get a print started

I bought S3D to see how much better it was the Slic3r 1.2.9. So far the results are not impressive. my filament measures at 1.75mm, and I have the extrusion multiplier set to 1. i had 2 skirts printing, and the line for the skirts and print is dotted as if not enough filament is coming out. So I upped the skirt to $ rounds, and prior to the print I extruded 10mm of filament. i still had the same problem. I don't have this problem with Slic3r. It prints fine, so I know the bed is level and all. With Slic3r, I use 1 skirt with a minimum of 15mm extruded. I wish S3D had a minimum extrusion, but $ skirt outlines with 10mm prior to start being extruded should work.

I have a Prusa P3 steel running Repetier .92.9. I'm using Makergeeks PETG.

What could be the issue?
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: cannot get a print started

It's very common to need to make these small adjustments when you switch programs. You can read a slightly longer explanation of why here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4062&p=18272#p18272

In your case, if you are seeing dotting on the skirt, that typically means that the nozzle is too close to the bed. So try increasing the Z-axis global offset to move it further away (for example, set to 0.1mm to move the nozzle 0.1mm further away from the bed).

That should give the plastic more space to flow freely
ml3dprints
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: cannot get a print started

If the nozzle was too close to the bed, it would not print with the other program. I have had that happen before, and that is usually a bed leveling issue. My bed is level. Does S3D calculate Z values differently? As it stands now, my Z leveling should be about .1mm.
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: cannot get a print started

ml3dprints wrote:If the nozzle was too close to the bed, it would not print with the other program. I have had that happen before, and that is usually a bed leveling issue. My bed is level. Does S3D calculate Z values differently? As it stands now, my Z leveling should be about .1mm.
The positioning of the nozzle can be different between different programs. Each program has it own set of settings that adjust this, so you can't say that if it was working with one then it must work with the other. As I said, it's very common to need to make adjustments in each different software you use, since they all have their own settings for controlling this. Thankfully, it's very easy to do.

This explains things in more detail: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... t-of-print
ml3dprints
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: cannot get a print started

I've tried a Z vertical offset with the following parameters: -.10mm, -.05mm, 0mm, .05mm, .10mm, .15mm, .2mm, and .25mm. All setting print exactly the same except when the nozzle is too high as in .2mm and .25mm. When it's starts printing, I can see the change on the LCD to the Z position based on a .2mm layer height. So at .05mm, Z was at .25mm. The way it prints is it blobs plastic with a barely connected spider web strand.

To make sure the bed was level, I did a test print with Slic3r, and it printed. The Z position on the LCD on the first layer read .2mm.

I've attached a picture of how it prints at Z 0mm. It's pretty much the same at all the levels. Also, the extruder was primed 10mm prior to start.

What can I do?
Attachments
lcd
lcd
print
print
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: cannot get a print started

I think the best thing to do is to post your factory file for this part. This will allow users here to see what your current settings are...and to suggested what changes to make.

From File dropdown menu......Save Factory File as>

Attach the .factory file to a post on this thread...
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
ml3dprints
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: cannot get a print started

I had to add .pdf to the extension to get it to post. Just delete the .pdf. I'm not sure it is showing all the processes, but it is the Red 100 process.
Attachments
failed print.factory.pdf
factory
(32.82 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: cannot get a print started

I think we need someone with knowledge of setting up this printer (Prusa P3).

I've downloaded the factory file....and the generated gcode has absolutely NO extrusion commands. The preview shows nothing unless you turn on display of moves....and its 100% moves!!

This may explain why there's no print....what's in the photo above looks as if it made up of just the result of nozzle oozing!!!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
ml3dprints
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: cannot get a print started

No wonder. I had the travel moves on, so I assumed that was the model. Sure enough unchecking that box shows nothing. Could this be a bug in the Mac version?
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: cannot get a print started

It'll be an issue with the profile. I have Windows so it's not a Mac specific problem.

You need someone who's got experience with the same printer as you to jump in and help........
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”