pinthenet
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:07 am

Strange effect when rotating

In order to print the attached object I want to rotate it 180° around X or Y.
If I rotate round Y it's OK, but rotation around X results in 'missing' layers in the preview....screenshot attached

I am printing now but I assume it's going to get in a mess.

The object is part of a much larger one created in 3ds max, then split with netfabb then repaired in netfabb.

The process settings haven't been changed for X or Y rotation and are the ones I've used for all other split objects in the project. I also had to rotate other objects but never had an issue, and I'm certain I rotated some around X, although I think only 90°

S3D 3.0.2
Windows 10

Any ideas?

Regards
John
Attachments
p6.zip
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 139 times
p3.png
zemlin
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:36 am

Re: Strange effect when rotating

Sometimes changing the layer thickness by a tiny amount can resolve an issue like that. I've changed from 0.2mm layers to .199 and had the slicing come up clean.
Heutinck
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:14 am

Re: Strange effect when rotating

in my limited experience this is usually cause by some errors in the stl file. try running it through one of the online repair sites. Microsoft has one that works well for me. https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net/
pinthenet
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:07 am

Re: Strange effect when rotating

I jsut tried 'Repair/Identify Self Interecting surfaces' in S3D and it found some. THe re hightlights are below the odd section but that may be a cause.

I'll try the online netfabb
Thanks
pinthenet
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:07 am

Re: Strange effect when rotating

That was quick! The https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net/ site fixed it, thanks again.
I am using Octoprint to run the actual print and the Gcode viewer doesn't seem to miss any layers so maybe I'm lucky

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”