motley
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:49 am

Extruder motor not running

I've got (almost) everything working ok now - tracked some of the problems to the poor USB ports on my laptop, using the desktop now...

The final problem is the extruder motor is not running (doesn't run during a print or respond to the jog command). I have swapped the wiring about so I know the motor does work.

I expect it's something I have missed or messed up in the gcode setup but I'm a bit stuck at the moment.

As ever all help gratefully received - so close as well, it's frustrating to see the print head doing it's thing but nothing coming out!

Thanks,

Chris

(Win8.1 + Prusa Mendel Longboat + RepRapPro Duet with V10 of the DC42 firmware)
User avatar
jimc
Posts: 1124
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:02 pm
Location: mullica, nj
Contact: Website

Re: Extruder motor not running

i know this is kinda simple but........is your hot end up to temp? not familiar with your firmware but every one will have a min temp setting before the extruder motor will turn. in most versions of marlin its 170 deg.
motley
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:49 am

Re: Extruder motor not running

Yes I made sure it was up to temp (190C for PLA), not sure what the tolerance is but it seems to keep it fairly close.

Should there be a comms error message if this is the reason for lack of movement, there seems to be a verbose reply from the firmware generally

Thanks

Chris
motley
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:49 am

Re: Extruder motor not running

Further to my last post, if I send the extruder up 10 units using the jog controller I note the following comms log:

G91
G1 E-10.000 F240
G90
Received ok
Received ok
Received ok

Which is I guess what you would expect, but even with the extruder temp stable there is no extruder movement, for simplicity I have removed the PLA from the extruder for now.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”