wattronix
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:39 pm

Surprise Supports

Fancy Box.STL
(4.57 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
In a simple box design (90 degree corners, vertical sides, horizontal top) (box shelled on bottom), requesting auto-generated supports puts support within shelled bottom opening.
Then a surprise set of external supports appear along the exterior walls when "Prepare To Print" icon is activated. These extra surprise are also printed out in the printed model.
Both automatic 'shell" and manual shelling of similar designs produce the surprise result.

Trusting someone has an answer...

Ron
Attachments
Fancy Box.gcode
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 142 times
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Surprise Supports

Why wouldn't you print that box with the top lid on the surface of the bed? You wouldn't need any support in that case...
zemlin
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:36 am

Re: Surprise Supports

Do you have Extra Inflation Distance in the Support dialog. That can generate support in goofy places. Try that at ZERO.
wattronix
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:39 pm

Re: Surprise Supports

CompoundCarl wrote:Why wouldn't you print that box with the top lid on the surface of the bed? You wouldn't need any support in that case...
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, of course, I normally strive to avoid supports but I am counting on the closed top orientation to give me a better aesthetic look (surface finish) than I would expect if the top was turned upside down.

Regards.
Ron
wattronix
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:39 pm

Re: Surprise Supports

Hello Zemlin,

You solved this one on the first try.
I changed the 3mm of Extra Inflation Distance in the file to zero and the surprise supports are gone.
Thank you very much.

Can you advise what the Extra Inflation Distance feature is normally used for, how it causes these surprises, etc.
There is no cloud notice appearing when I hover over it on screen to tell me more.
If I can understand its use, I can better use or avoid this feature.

Regards,

Ron
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Surprise Supports

The tip of the day topic stickied at the top of the forum has explanations for all these settings
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2135
wattronix
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:39 pm

Re: Surprise Supports

Thanks for all the support.
Things are just fine now.
Ron

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”