tablefx

Processes - I think I'm using S3D wrong

I think I'm using S3D incorrectly but thought I'd check with the community of kind people here.

I have 1 printer, openbuilds prusa I3, and have accumulated a number of processes so I can quickly switch for different prints.
(see attached image).

Is this normal/best practice use of processes?
If yes, how does one export these processes to import on a new computer?

thanks
mark.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 8.24.15 PM.png
andrewk72

Re: Processes - I think I'm using S3D wrong

I would strongly suggest watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFynhtvPBPQ

If you need different quality or material settings, those can easily be embedded within a SINGLE profile. You don't need to have lots of duplicate profiles. And even if you did need some wildly different settings for some reason, you would still want to save those as a PROFILE and not a process. You should only have as many processes loaded as what is required to manufacture the part that you have on screen. If you have lots of extras that you aren't using for that part, then you're probably doing something wrong.
tablefx

Thanks Andrew, it's all making sense now. I knew there had to be a better way.

With that in mind, do people create different material profiles for filament variants (eg. 2 different pla colours that have different optimal print settings).
shasselberg

I have also been organizing things wrong. I had saved a bunch of profiles for different filaments, when I should actually have been creating and modifying materials under a profile. This brings up some questions regarding shared printers and computers.

In our lab we will have several TAZ 5 printers and several computer workstations with Simplify3D installed. If a user modifies a material file, that will affect all users of the computer after them. I might encourage them to create material files like Steve's PLA, but we could soon have a whole lot of them. And if they wanted to use it on another computer or share it with a friend, how do they get the file there? How do they export those settings?
CompoundCarl

You can export the FFF profile by going to File > Export FFF Profile. Then someone else can import it.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”