(S3D slice with thick bands at the hole positions)
I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a looong time. Initially thought it was caused by some sort of mechanical error in my machine (Replicator 2X), so I calibrated, adjusted, tightened, lubed and whatever for ages and ages (even rebuild the entire extruder), to absolutely no effect. In the end I gave up and tried slicing with MakerBots software instead. Problem solved:
(MakerBot slice on left, S3D on right)
After looking at the gcode generated by Simplify3D, it's actually no wonder why the machine is producing these bands. It's right there in the gcode! The machine is just doing exactly as it's being told by S3D
I have no idea what could be causing this though.. Some sort of float rounding error? Just a regular weird bug?
It's relevant to note that this happens on ALL my prints, as soon as theres some sort of continous shell with holes in it along the perimeter at some points during the print. A topology like that will cause these kinds of bands every single time.
I'm quite dismayed. S3D is pretty near perfect in allmost all other areas, but this is just a dealbreaker, when the program itself is utterly ruining the quality of every single print
Has anyone experienced this? Or better yet have an idea for a solution?
On the upside I now have an extremely well calibrated machine