nerys

Re: Tip of the Day 21 - Support tab, a technical analysis

No the extrusion width of the aupport is not the same as any other line. At least not on my printer and its the very problem i am having :-) if it should be the same width why is it not for me?

I switched to the flexion extruder on my i3v2 maker select. Amazing stunning improvement. Truly amazing results improvement.

Except support is now completely broken. Does not work at all any more. It makes these wispy spindly little extrusions that either dont stick or get shoved off pushed aside by the next layer breaking them.

I am going to try the outside ouline enlargement and see if that helps

Suggestions?

Also this set of descriptions are amazing thank you so much for making them. I k ow it was a decent amount of work

I am still confused by this

Support Infill Percentage: The Infill % your support will be printed with. For PLA/ABS anywhere from 20 to 40% usually works really well, I've typically left this on the default value.

Are terms being mixed here?

The object is the object. Infill is what you put into the hollow space inside the object.

Support is thin walls ie the object. There is no infill. What am i missing? Right now its defaulted at 30% what will happen if i change that to say 60 or 100% ?
CompoundCarl

I would make a new thread for your issue.
airscapes

You guys need to update these pages with 4.0.1 data you are out of date and it is very frustrating for your customers trying to understand what parameters do when they are not listed in your documentation and there are others that are in the documentation but no longer in the software.

Do you have a PDF with all the documentation for 4.0.1, what the settings do and what effect they have on the model?
Yes, I hate writing documentation and once written, keeping it up to date but this is really frustrating!
thingismith

I've had this question nagging at me for a while: Which has higher priority, the Upper Vertical Separator or the Horizontal Offset from Part? See my diagram:
Support Question.jpg
When the part has a curved bottom, will the Upper Vertical Separation Layer (UVSL) supercede the Horizontal Offset (HO), or is it the other way around? If the Horizontal Offset is given the higher priority, then the vertical distance between the object and supports is almost doubled at the steeper parts of the object (if the horizontal offset is set a recommended parameters).

I would expect the S3D Devs to give the UVSL the greater priority over the HO, but I recently had a print where I had a large HO (about 1.5mm) and the supports were no where close to touching the bottom of the object at the steeper inclines.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”