difool78
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:58 am

Not able to print the part

Hi,

I am starting using Simplify 3D after Cura. I use a Mankati XT plus printer and use the default settings for the printer/

I have tried to print the following part with S3D, using PLA at 210°C, 0.1 layer height, 45°C Bed : http://www.thingiverse.com/download:1699292

The first layer is very good, and the base of the vase is solid with very good finish, no delamination, no holes.

But as soon as the printer starts printing the rest of the vase, mainly pillars with lots of retractions, I face bonding issues and after a couple of layers, I have a split with the base and the printhead is printing in the air.

I've made 3 tries, with different temperatures, but no success.

I have finally used cura to print successfully the part at 210°C, bed at 45°C, 0.1 layer height with the same PLA filament.

I have printed other parts with the same filament without any issue.

I believe some default parameters in S3D are not correct around retraction.

Your help much appreciated.

David
andrewk72
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:43 am

Re: Not able to print the part

A picture of your prints would help. It could be under-extrusion, or perhaps too much retraction. It could also be other retraction settings, but it's pretty hard to guess without more info...
difool78
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:58 am

Re: Not able to print the part

Hi Andrew
Sorry for late reply. Had to do the reprint after the weekend.

The base (first 3.5 mm) are printing pretty well, as you can see. First layer is great and no problem.

When starting the pillars, with lots of retraction, I have no extrusion, soon after performing the first layer with the retractions.

Seems that there is a problem with the retraction settings, specially with the extra restart distance.

Here's my settings and the pics of the part.
S3D settings
S3D settings
Attachments
IMG_0774.JPG
IMG_0773.JPG
andrewk72
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:43 am

Re: Not able to print the part

Can you post a picture of the pillars? If the first few layers are printing correctly, that's a good sign. But it would help to see the actual problem area.
difool78
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:58 am

Re: Not able to print the part

In fact I am not able to print the pillars further more than the picture. You have to imagine that it's a vase and the pillars should continue vertically from the visible edges.

With the retractions, I've got no more extrusion. I have done another attempt without vertical lift but no success.

I believe that the extra restart distance parameter is wrong for that particular part.
Though I am managed successfully to print other parts with these parameters. The parts were with less retractions and a longer print path between two retractions.

I will try tomorrow to print another test without any extra restart distance.

David
andrewk72
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:43 am

Re: Not able to print the part

Try making the extra restart distance 0mm instead of -0.13mm. If that still leaves holes, then try making is slightly positive, like +0.1mm.
difool78
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:58 am

Re: Not able to print the part

HI Andrew

It was also my idea, so I have done a test with -0.06 extra restart retraction. Not good, but failed a bit later after the previous attempts.
attempt with -0.06 extra restart retraction
attempt with -0.06 extra restart retraction
I then set the extra restart retraction to 0. And here we go .... I've stopped the print after a couple of centimeters.

The result is very good, no under extrusion, no stringing.
attempt with 0 extra restart retraction
attempt with 0 extra restart retraction
The result is way better than with Cura specially regarding stringing, thought I don't have any vertical lift.

Thanks for you help !

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”