whiteeedotcom

How to get a preview of you MACHINE

Hi,

Not overly important but I saw on a youtube video that someone had a model of their printer in the build volume display, I was wondering how to change this setting to display an image of my printer - which leads me to second question, if not obvious from options (drop down list etc) - what models can be displayed?
CompoundCarl

Re: How to get a preview of you MACHINE

Once you have your own STL file for the printer bed, you can go to Tools > Options, Machine tab, and then add the printer model at the bottom.

Note that if you're using a profile that overrides your machine settings, then you will need to go to File > Export FFF Profile to save your profile to your hard drive, open it in a text editor, and edit the following 2 lines

<overridePrinterModels>1</overridePrinterModels>
<printerModelsOverride>C:\path\to\your\model.stl</printerModelsOverride>

Then just save the file and go to File > Import FFF Profile to load it back into the software
razster

Make sure you use the absolute filepath in that XML tag. It's also probably a good idea to make sure the path doesn't contain spaces
dorsai3d

You can also omit the file path altogether (using only the STL filename) if you put it in the same folder as the savedstate.factory and temp.gcode
OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/Simplify3D/S3D-Software
Windows: %APPDATA%\Local\Simplify3D\S3D-Software
TechGirl

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to do exactly this for the past 2 days. I should have checked the community earlier :oops: .

Thanks for the help :D .
CompoundCarl

One other tip that might be helpful - the STL file that you use needs to be properly positioned relative to your printer's coordinate system. For example, if the (0,0,0) location is in the front left of the build plate, then your STL file needs to be exported so that this same location is where (0,0,0) is located. The main reason for this is that you won't be able to reposition the model when S3D loads it in the background, so you have to make sure you get it correct from the start.

If you model has the wrong coordinate system, then just import it into Simplify3D as you normally would (File > Import Models), and then double-click on it and change then XYZ offsets until it's in the right position. Then go to File > Export Models, choose Binary STL file, and you can save the file with the correct coordinate system. Use this new file as the <printerModelsOverride> setting.
merick1207

Can someone tell me how to get the preview of my cr10? I dont know where to find an stl of my printer and I am working with win10 and the files path you listed before, I do not have... Thank you in advance, Merick
nickm324

How is this not a bug, you can set it in the tools/options machine dialog but if you want it to work more than once you have to go track down hidden files and hand edit them.

How has this not been fixed by now. It still exists in 4.1.2.
parallyze

nickm324 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:54 pm ...you can set it in the tools/options machine dialog but if you want it to work more than once you have to go track down hidden files and hand edit them.
What do you mean, "work more than once"? Once assigned using Tools -> General Options -> Machine S3D keeps a set STL...

The original post is quite old, so I can't recall if you had to do it editing the profile back then. But you will have to if you'd like
to change the STL/printer model when selecting a different profile. Otherwise you will have the same STL for all printers/profiles installed.
nickm324 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:54 pm How has this not been fixed by now. It still exists in 4.1.2.
What exactly should've been fixed? As said, using the Options it seems to be working...?
billyd

I use two printers a Taz 5 and a Replicator 2. Both have stock printer STLs. However, when I switch from the replicator2 to the taz 5, the replicator2 model remains with the taz 5 volume. If I have the taz5 stl on the screen and switch to the replicator2 it correctly switches to the replicator2 stl. It's bizarre that it can't switch back. Now I just delete the stl because it's too annoying to deal with.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”