jimc

Re: FFF file location?

i see what your saying now. the problem is really in the naming, renaming and duplicating of the files once they are in s3d. just something to make it easier.....before you import go into your list and remove the fff file from the dropdown. this way it wont get duplicated and you wont have to rename anything. just remove, import, make your changes, hit update then export.
MichaelHerron

jimc wrote:i see what your saying now. the problem is really in the naming, renaming and duplicating of the files once they are in s3d. just something to make it easier.....before you import go into your list and remove the fff file from the dropdown. this way it wont get duplicated and you wont have to rename anything. just remove, import, make your changes, hit update then export.

Like I said--its not a big deal. BUT:

The previous version actually only referenced the FFF file. We stored them on a network drive. If I would make a change to my configuration and saved out the FFF file, when the other user would use simplify, the new configuration was updated in his client. no importation needed. It was quite convenient, as we are always improving the profiles and experimenting with new materials.

The new setup is better if you have everything already dialed in, but in our case, the "live" network-located fff files were more convenient.
AK_Eric

To bump this old thread: Another reason storing the profiles in S3D is bad: If you do a "reset all settings", it'll wipe all your custom profiles with no warning or prompt.

This recently happened to me: I had changed my monitor config, and the "cross section view" was opening off screen. S3D support told me to reset the software, which I did, and in the process, all my new custom profiles I hadn't yet saved to disk are now gone: I'm having to re-create them via old factory files. Irony: The "cross section view" didn't reset it's location : I had to monkey with my monitor config until I could find it, and move it back to the main S3D window.

Oh, it also wipes any custom firmware tweaks you've made as well :(
So really, this is just a warning to users to back up all your processes, firmware settings etc, before you 'reset all settings'.

And a +1 to move this stuff out of the software (the way it used to be).
Bots:
Makerbot Replicator 2x / Sailfish on Mightyboard
Custom C-Bot / RepRap Firmware on RADDS
Custom Tevo Little Monster / RepRap Firmware on Duet
replfy

Was googling this same issue myself. I would like to echo what others are requesting, please revert to file based Process storage. You can still have a registry for working use, but please have it sync with a file. I had four nicely dialed in Processes, then went to try the Dual Extrusion Wizard. Was told that none of my profiles support the Dual Extrusion Wizard, so I followed the directions to go to Help -> Configuration Assistant. (Can you see what is coming?) Configuration Assistant tells me to select Other since my printer isn't on the list. Again I follow directions, enter my printer parameters again (I did it once when I first installed S3D). Boom, my nicely dialed processes are gone, and per this thread I can't get them back (of course I'd be fine if I'd been manually exporting them, but its a bit late to learn that now). Under the version 2.x scheme I could have just gone and found the files from my old processes and restored.

Note, my situation could have been remedied if there were an automatic export any time the user does something that will wipe the current profiles. I'm of the opinion that having persistent files and not relying on auto export would still be better per the previous posts, but auto export before irreversible erasure would help some users.

Thanks.
jerictownsend

(Thought I posted a reply to this yesterday, but not seeing it...)

My request as well, please. I am duplicating some Processes for different extruders and filaments, which means I have to cut-n-paste all the gcode scripts between windows and change all the same variables in the new Process. "Save Process Settings" and "Load Process Settings" even have an existing bounding box in the UI.

If these won't be saved/loaded, please let us know where they are stored so we can manage them via CMS.
rskennymore

I just wanted to add my voice to this and request the external storage of the settings files. I would very much prefer a version controllable directory with standardized xml files vs. a proprietary internal storage kajigger.
Outlaw

Same here... perhaps this should go to feature requests. I too would like to be able to easily backup and rename profiles. (rename option would be great in the GUI)
vanhaydn

I have 4 machines all different in every way possible

S3D kept crashing for whatever reason, i made small adjustments and it chucked its little toys out the cot! so i did a reset...yea...pity about all my profiles for all my machines..months of work gone! thats different filament brands, different speeds, the list is endless etc..ALL GONE! =

only to discover I must store all my settings someplace else WTF!
why cant the FFF files be stored in a folder that can be accessed ?? is this so hard to do?

now i have 3 machine's dead in the water because I dont have time to redo all the work,Im busy doing other stuff that is taking the only 2 hands that i have

:twisted:
Flugtanzer

Yes, please return back to file-based profile-storage!
My previous speakers listed enough arguments, which I follow completely.
No arguments that support the new way (registry storage) could be found.
So please revert in the next update.
SteveIsHeer

I agree with changing the storage from registry to file. I have been having tons of issues and it all points back to not being able to store settings correctly in the registry due to security settings. I use HIPS to prevent malware intrusions and this is preventing proper storage into the registry from getting updated. Besides that, the settings are stored as xml so there is no need to store them as registry based not to mention how badly it bloats the registry causing slower performance and load times. Been fighting with settings issues constantly due to this storage method.
It show's to go you how feelish you fool when your tang is all tungled up and you bart stalking tackwards!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”