Polyimage

thin wall parts

Is there a trick to slicing thin wall parts? Seems like it will do a couple of skirt layers and then stop.
JoeJ

Re: thin wall parts

You just can't have features that are thinner than the extrusion width you are using. If the software things it's putting our a 0.4mm extrusion width of plastic, it won't print a wall that is only 0.2mm thick. You can try reducing your extrusion width slightly, but don't go too far below your nozzle diameter (i.e. using a width of 0.1mm for a 0.4mm nozzle doesn't make much sense).
chuck12

You can tell the software that your nozzle is smaller than it actually is and adjust the filament thread to smaller size, that way it
will slice properly and it might even print what you need. This worked for me on my MakerGear M2 but your results may not be the same.
JoeJ

I'm not sure the nozzle diameter will make any difference here. For what I've seen, it's all based around the extrusion width that you are using. If you change your nozzle diameter to 0.1mm, but still leave your extrusion width at 0.4mm, you will still have the same problem.

But of course, I guess if you were using the auto extrusion width it might scale along with the nozzle diameter...
JohnB

I tried making a calibration box with the walls at .60mm and set my extrusion
width to .60mm and S3D won't allow the part to be made. Now if I make the
calibration box with the walls at .6001mm the part will be able to print, but
S3D will make 2 rows down the wall making it twice as wide as it should be.
Maybe there can be some sort of tolerance setting added that will print a
wall +/- some % or mm of the extrusion width.
rsilvers

I have a 0.6mm nozzle, and set my extrusion width to 0.65mm, and printed a large part that must have walls thinner than that, and they were not printed.

I vote for a checkbox that would print features smaller than your nozzle size, but then shows them in preview as a configurable color.
JD95

I'm trying to make a single wall part with specifically designed-in internal structure. On a gentle curve, I am finding the wall needs to be about 15% thicker than the set line width or else there will be a break in the wall. And even at that, the Simplify-generated Gcode will tell the printer to pass over it twice with a full extrusion both passes, making a thicker than designed wall at that. I can do single wall at 0.5mm (checked with a caliper +- 0.02mm), I design a part with a 0.57mm wall and the final wall thickness ends up being 0.95mm because of the double pass.

It's a model airplane airfoil with an integrated main spar, so I can't just make it thicker because that adds weight.
jd_3d

I really hope they can improve this in the version after 2.1 as I do a lot of thin-walled parts. In a really old version there used to be a check box to detect thin walled parts, but it didn't work that well. What I mean by that is instead of printing the loop twice, it would print it once, then travel over the loop again but without extruding anything. This was bad as dragging over the print degraded the quality. I think the best way to fix this is to automatically only print either the 'inner loop' of thin walls or the 'outer loop', with a selection box for the user to choose if they want it to print only the inner or the outer. Since it is a thin-wall the distance between the inner and outer is probably only going to be like 0.5mm for a 0.5mm wall, but having that option could be important for some geometries.

Right now what I do is manually edit the gcode file in a text editor and remove the duplicate loops on the thin-walled areas but this is very time-consuming.
BaronWilliams

I imagine having two settings like this:

Minimal Wall Shells 0 = No minimal wall shell thickness, if walls are too thin they are not printed (the default behavior we current have with Simplify3D)
Minimal Wall Shells 1 = All walls will print, even if too small, and will print at a minimum of 1 shell thick
Minimal Wall Shells 2 = All walls will print, even if too small, and will print at a minimum of 2 shells thick
Minimal Wall Shells 3 = All walls will print, even if too small, and will print at a minimum of 3 shells thick
etc.

Also for layers:

Minimal Wall Layers 0 = No minimal wall layer thickness, if walls are too thin they are not printed (the default behavior we current have with Simplify3D)
Minimal Wall Layers 1 = All walls will print, even if too small, and will print at a minimum of 1 layer thick
Minimal Wall Layers 2 = All walls will print, even if too small, and will print at a minimum of 2 layers thick
Minimal Wall Layers 3 = All walls will print, even if too small, and will print at a minimum of 3 layers thick
etc.

Having such wall options would give us great control over how our walls print out. I prefer this level of control over having a simple toggle switch to force walls to print at some predefines thickness.

This wall thickness issue will pop up when you shrink some items. Such as a rose, where the individual petals are thin walls.

I found that Slic3r did not have this problem. Slic3r was able to print a scaled down rose's thin walls by adjusting them automatically to be at least as thin as your extruder width. Using Slic3r I could shrink a rose very small and all the petals would remain. Cura, KISSlicer and Simplify3D would fail to print the shrunken rose petals once their walls went thinner than the nozzle's width.

If you're printing an item thats scaled down, and it has thin walls built into the design for support, then the thin walls can be removed by Simplify3D, Cura, and KISSlicer, and your print could end up collapsing because the software removed the support walls. So watch out for this potential problem. Currently, if I have this wall thickness issue, I slice with Slic3r instead of Simplify3D. I prefer using Simplify3D, and would use it in all cases if this one issue could be resolved. Again, Cura and KISSlicer also have this issue.
furicks

I agree this feature is very useful. Often times an extremely thin part from a client needs to be printed as a single extrusion line. To not print the connecting pieces is almost never acceptable as that results in large gaps in the object or even objects which aren't connected to each other.

I think at the minimum the default behavior should be to print thin object features as a single line of extrusion. I can't think of a situation where that would not be preferable to completely ignoring the feature.

A great solution would be the one outlined above where the amount of thickness could be specified.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”