hansen644

How to add z-hop. extruder sratching surface

Hi my extruder is scratching my top layers. How to I enable z-hop? or any ideas on how to correct it?
JFettig

Re: How to add z-hop. extruder sratching surface

under ooze control on the first page of the fff settings "retraction vertical lift"
JoeJ

FYI - you may also want to read this for more details: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1980
KC_703

Sounds a bit like overextruding. Decrease the Extrusion Multiplier... .95-.97 works well for me.
hansen644

Will try it thanks it is set at 1.0 right now.
swbluto

Hello, did you solve the extruder surface scratching on the top layers? With simplify3d's prints turning out so amazing, the scratches really stand out and I want to know how to minimize them, lol.

I tried the "retraction vertical lift" at 2.5 mm, and it indeed seemed to lift between different parts, but the scratches remain. I checked out print preview, and it's pretty clear which layer the scratch occurs at because of the red-line that indicates it's traveling at the location of the scratch. Is Simplify 3d not lifting at that particular travel path? I'd hate to watch the whole print all over again just to find out, lol.
Trhuster

I have not tested but if you go to advanced tab and uncheck "only retract when crossing open spaces" and it will do z-lift even over top surface i think.
GeorgB

I have the same issue.
If an outside/inside perimeter is crossed during travel, then with "retraction vertical lift" a z-hop is included on the top layer.
But a travel inside the surface has no z-hop. see pic.
So the result is a scratch in the surface.
I did not see a value in version 3.1 to controll that.
Has anyone an idea?
andrewk72

You can't do a z-lift unless you're done a retraction beforehand, otherwise it just oozes all over and creates a mess. So if you want it to z-lift, even when it's just moving over it's own internal layer, then go to the Advanced tab and disable "only retract when crossing open spaces".

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”