dorsai3d

Re: Is S3D still actually being developed?

scobo wrote:For the benefit of anyone in doubt that S3D is being developed, take a look here .......

https://www.simplify3d.com/software/release-notes/

Is that enough development for you ? :roll:
*sarcasm on*
No, I demand that I have 24/7 support with 10 minute turnaround, a public roadmap of all features with daily progress updates, and everything I ask for gets implemented in the very next update!
*sarcasm off*

Seriously guys, you want an example of what normal sub-$1000 software with no support contracts looks like, try working in commercial manufacturing for a while. We once bought BobCAM Lathe and man, was that a miserable experience... I think it was $300 for a 2 axis CAM software that barely worked, and the only "support" was salespeople trying to get you to upgrade to bigger packages...
scobo

I work for a government department in the UK, your lucky if our systems/software gets updated once a decade !
As for technical support, it's like pulling teeth at best.
Elegoo Neptune 4
Slicers - Simplify3d, Cura
3D modelling - 123D Design, Mesh Mixer
3d scanners - Rivopoint Mini and Pop 2
jeevesme@hotmail.com

...... apparently you need to read my original post. :roll:
Last edited by jeevesme@hotmail.com on Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scobo

jeevesme@hotmail.com wrote:...... apparently you need my original post. :roll:
Absolutely no dea what you mean by that whatsoever ????
Elegoo Neptune 4
dkightley

I sense that rather than there being a feeling that S3D are not actively developing the software....but that there's a frustration that there's absolutely no feedback regarding all the new feature requests and bug reports that are posted on this forum.

If anyone from the management or development staff read this post, I would like to get the message over that it would be 100% brilliant should there be some form of regular feedback.....say on a weekly basis.....on the posting in both of the user feedback sections. I don't think we would be wanting any form of commitment regarding any of the requests or bug reports....but perhaps initial thoughts on the perceived benefits, the likely ease or scale of effort to code the request, etc.

Let's have something.....not total silence as we have at the moment. I'd prefer someone to say "Sorry, that's not the sort of change we would want to include." or "A good idea, but it would affect the slicing speed." or "What a good idea. We may add that to our list of changes to consider for inclusion in a future release." rather than there be a total silence....which currently is giving the feeling that what we, the loyal users, are doing to try and help the software improve is a waste of our time! That;s certainly how I feel!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
scobo

dkightley wrote:I sense that rather than there being a feeling that S3D are not actively developing the software....but that there's a frustration that there's absolutely no feedback regarding all the new feature requests and bug reports that are posted on this forum.

If anyone from the management or development staff read this post, I would like to get the message over that it would be 100% brilliant should there be some form of regular feedback.....say on a weekly basis.....on the posting in both of the user feedback sections. I don't think we would be wanting any form of commitment regarding any of the requests or bug reports....but perhaps initial thoughts on the perceived benefits, the likely ease or scale of effort to code the request, etc.

Let's have something.....not total silence as we have at the moment. I'd prefer someone to say "Sorry, that's not the sort of change we would want to include." or "A good idea, but it would affect the slicing speed." or "What a good idea. We may add that to our list of changes to consider for inclusion in a future release." rather than there be a total silence....which currently is giving the feeling that what we, the loyal users, are doing to try and help the software improve is a waste of our time! That;s certainly how I feel!
Now that is a fair point !
Elegoo Neptune 4
TMeyer

And again: silence from S3D team - like usual :-(
CompoundCarl

It has been said many times - this is a user forum. If you want to talk to the S3D employees directly, then you have to contact them here: https://www.simplify3d.com/contact-us/
dkightley

It has been said many times - this is a user forum. If you want to talk to the S3D employees directly, then you have to contact them here: https://www.simplify3d.com/contact-us/
Quite correct.......but way off the point of this thread. Or at least way off the reason I posted what I did above.

It's all very well having a section in this "User Forum" for users to suggest enhancements and changes to the software that the developers could incorporate into upgrades and future releases......but I see a very strong feeling that the software developers have either stopped reviewing ideas submitted here, or that everything written here is being ignored and all ideas are being taken from elsewhere.

And the reason .....absolutely no feedback. No feedback on the forum in the form of a "Thank you for your ideas and input". Virtually no evidence that changes made to the software have originated from this user forum. No feedback in the form of even a comment saying either "Hey. That's a good idea" or "Good idea...but not within our remit for this package".

This leaves the users who regularly read the forum in the opinion that the developers do not read this section of the forum and do not care about the loyal users base! And, of course, make many ask the question "Is S3D still actually being developed?"

I suppose we could all take Carl's advice.....by everyone sending the developers exactly the same question by email on the same day - flood their inbox with as many emails putting the same question, each email adding that a little feedback would go a very long way in customer relations!!!!!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
billyd

While I appreciate that they don't charge for new versions, I would rather they did and be responsive on the forums, and include user suggestions and improvements more often. There are some issues with the software that have been known for years and seemingly ignored.

I know it wouldn't be popular because people always seem to want something for nothing but I recommend charging a yearly maintenance fee e.g. 10 or $20 and use that money toward new development and improvements. This is very typical in the industry. And people with enough disposable income to own and operate a 3D printer can certainly afford it even though I'm sure they would claim their children will now have to go to school with no shoes as a result.

Return to “Feature Requests”