isacat
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:24 pm

need help with print

Hi,

I started to print thing t-rex from thingiverse (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:275091)
I scaled the ribs to 200%, Now I have this issues with printing the left ribs, it prints fine for two thirds of the print but then it's very bad, see pic Image.
My guess because the object is moving at that moment and is unstable.
So for the second time I used support but with the same result :-( Image
Can you please help me out here? I used for both prints a raft.
My printer is a ultimaker 2
wirlybird
Posts: 1374
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: need help with print

My first thought is heat and speed. They might be getting to hot by that point and or the print speed might be to fast. I might also see if you can print fewer at one time.
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: need help with print

To me it looks as if you're right about there being an issue with stability of these tall prints. It looks as if some of the ribs are shifting and some are not.

I'd add some more supports manually. Auto-generation may not provide the right amount. You may need support to rise higher to give the right level of stability.

Also, make your supports stronger by changing and adding support angles. I would try 45,45,45,45,-45. Having one layer at 90 degrees to the rest every so often will make the support extra rigid, and changing the angle will give better support to the curved shapes you have. Adding a bit of Extra Inflation Distance will fatten up the support cross section.

If you haven't done so already, you ought to add some vertical lift into the retraction so as to always lift the extruder nozzle clear of the print before moving...and slow your printing down as suggested above.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
isacat
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:24 pm

Re: need help with print

Also, make your supports stronger by changing and adding support angles. I would try 45,45,45,45,-45. Having one layer at 90 degrees to the rest every so often will make the support extra rigid, and changing the angle will give better support to the curved shapes you have. Adding a bit of Extra Inflation Distance will fatten up the support cross section.

If you haven't done so already, you ought to add some vertical lift into the retraction so as to always lift the extruder nozzle clear of the print before moving...and slow your printing down as suggested above.
Thx for the information,
Can you help me to find out where I can change this settings in S3D for both solutions?
I appreciate your helping me out here, thx
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: need help with print

Also, make your supports stronger by changing and adding support angles. I would try 45,45,45,45,-45. Having one layer at 90 degrees to the rest every so often will make the support extra rigid, and changing the angle will give better support to the curved shapes you have. Adding a bit of Extra Inflation Distance will fatten up the support cross section.
Support Infill Angles on Support settings tab:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2135
If you haven't done so already, you ought to add some vertical lift into the retraction so as to always lift the extruder nozzle clear of the print before moving...and slow your printing down as suggested above.
Retraction Vertical Lift on Extruder settings tab:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1980

I suggest you take a look at what settings are on all the different settings tabs. Start here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367

Best to learn what's what than to rely on others telling you what to change!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”