Jeff

Plastic Selection and Tempature

I would like to customize the type of plastic. PLA ABS HIPS NYLON PC-ABS and so on with different types and temperatures.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Jeff
glx51mm

Re: Plastic Selection and Tempature

I think the only way to do this is by saving different profiles.
Jeff

Support got back to me on this. This is something that needs to be done within Simplify. I am going to ask to see if they can allow anyone to crate plastic profiles. There is hundreds of different kinds of plastic out there. We provide 10 different types. So it would make sense for this to be a dropdown box with customer pre-configured plastic profiles.

In each plastic profile

First Layer temp
Second layer temp

First layer HBP temp
Second layer temp

in slic3r this is all my settings for just PLA. So each type of plastic, even what color it is will have a different profile.

# generated by Slic3r 1.0.0RC2 on Fri Feb 7 13:07:03 2014
bed_temperature = 75
bridge_fan_speed = 100
cooling = 1
disable_fan_first_layers = 1
extrusion_multiplier = .8
fan_always_on = 0
fan_below_layer_time = 60
filament_diameter = 1.75
first_layer_bed_temperature = 75
first_layer_temperature = 220
max_fan_speed = 100
min_fan_speed = 35
min_print_speed = 10
slowdown_below_layer_time = 30
temperature = 220

Jeff
rsilvers

Slice3r allows filament profiles. So I can have one called "SaintSans Yellow PLA" and then I can associate that with a diameter, temperature, and cooling parameters.

With S3D, that is not distinct from the machine profile, but it should be.

This would be a good thing to have changed. So far it is the biggest thing I will miss.
Jeff

Yes, there are WAY to many different types of plastic out there to have just a few listed. I know how to make the changes, But I am thinking someone will not know what they are doing and select these and jam their machine.

I can see a place where there are defaults for the Novice user, but also the ability to add new plastics as needed. Most will use ABS and PLA, But some might use HIPS, PC-ABS, NYLON(many different types), Wood, stone ect..... temperatures will vary a bit depending on environment. Maybe a simple Drop Down that can look to a flat file for the information that can be changed by the end user.

Tying the Bed to the type of plastic will also help.

ABS 130-150c
PLA 60-75

For example.

There are things that Slic3r does that makes a bit more sense. We just need to roll those items into Simplify to make it even better.

I have used Slic3r since they came out with it. Before that I exclusively used Skeinforge. Simplify3D has the potential to be the best out there. I have moved over 90%..... I look forward to moving 100%...

Lets make this software the KILLER app of 3D printing software.

Jeff

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”