JohnOCFII
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:26 pm
Location: Minnesota, USA

Wispy Skirt but model prints fine

Odd issue.

I print a skirt before each item to ensure the filament is flowing properly. I'm still pretty new to Simplify3D, but the skirt printing is often (but not always) very thin and wispy. By the time the print starts, it is usually OK, so the print turns out fine.

I'm using MakerGeeks High Performance Raptor PLA (amazing stuff - strong and heat resistant). Only thought is maybe the filament has absorbed moisture? It is summer now, and the humidity is higher, although we normally shut windows and turn on Air Conditioning when it is really hot and humid.

I've attached a factory file, and a photo is below.

Image

Thanks for any suggestions.

John
Attachments
PipeHolder-1.4.factory
Wispy Skirt Factory file
(10.86 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Wispy Skirt but model prints fine

You may just need to adjust the first layer position a bit. If it's too far or too close to the bed, it can sometimes look like that since the plastic will have trouble either getting out of the nozzle or it has trouble sticking.
JohnOCFII
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:26 pm
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: Wispy Skirt but model prints fine

CompoundCarl wrote:You may just need to adjust the first layer position a bit. If it's too far or too close to the bed, it can sometimes look like that since the plastic will have trouble either getting out of the nozzle or it has trouble sticking.
That is the odd thing -- the actual first layer of the print seems to have good adhesion. It's almost as if there is a height adjustment between the skirt and the start of the first layer. I guess I could look at the G-code to see if something like that is happening.

I should try a different filament and see if that changes things too.

Thanks,

John
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Wispy Skirt but model prints fine

Maybe also try priming the extruder ahead of time to make sure it's already flowing cleanly before the print begins
JohnOCFII
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:26 pm
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: Wispy Skirt but model prints fine

CompoundCarl wrote:Maybe also try priming the extruder ahead of time to make sure it's already flowing cleanly before the print begins
Hmm... I've never tried that. I basically was using the skirt to prime. I'll take a look at that option.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”