ayouden

Retraction During Wipe

Hello all,

I have been banging my head against the wall all day in regards to the retraction during wipe function in S3D.

I have been getting blobs/zits on the surface of my prints and after studying it while printing it comes at the end of the outer perimeter.

I set the slicer to put in a 5mm wipe and this reduced it by 75%, but there is still a noticeable bobble on the side.

I then read this on the S3D website:
Another extremely useful feature in Simplify3D is the ability to perform non-stationary retractions. This is particularly useful for bowden extruders that build up a lot of pressure inside the nozzle while printing. Typically when these types of machines stop extruding, the excess pressure is still likely to create a blob if the extruder is standing still. So Simplify3D has added a unique option that allows you to keep the nozzle moving while it performs its retraction. This means you are less likely to see a stationary blob since the extruder is constant moving during this process. To enable this option, we have to adjust a few settings. First, click “Edit Process Settings” and go to the Extruder tab. Make sure that the “Wipe Nozzle” option is enabled. This will tell the printer to wipe the nozzle at the end of each section when it stops printing. For the “Wipe Distance”, enter a value of 5mm as a good starting point. Next, go to the Advanced tab and enable the option labeled “Perform retraction during wipe movement”. This will prevent a stationary retraction, since the printer has now been instructed to wipe the nozzle while it retracts. This is a very powerful feature and a great option to try if you are still having trouble removing these defects from the surface of your print.
However, when I select the option to retract during wipe nothing happens?

The extruder doesn't retract during the wipe at all which is a bit of a pain.

I have attached a photo of my Advanced settings.

Am I missing something glaringly obvious as I have tried everything I can think of...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Alex
Attachments
Advanced Settings
Advanced Settings
CompoundCarl

Re: Retraction During Wipe

Well you need to have wiping turned on as well. Also, you have it set to only wipe on the outer-most outlines, so that's the only place a wipe will happen even if you have it turned on in the Extruder tab
ayouden

Hi,

I do have wipe nozzle enabled on the extruder section.

I only want to wipe the external perimeter, so hence why this setting is enabled.

The machine does the wipe movement, just doesn't retract during this?

Thanks.
Heutinck

how about turning off the only retract when crossing outlines. I believe this will negate retraction any other time.
ayouden

I did turn this on, but still doesn't fix it.

The only way I have managed to get this to work is to set a minimum retract distance (0.5mm) and disable "Only retract when crossing open spaces".

This causes havoc and there are so many retracts on complex parts!

I am not sure if this is how it's meant to work?

Would be good to hear if anyone else has managed to get this to work and what their settings are?

I think the "Only retract when crossing open spaces" is the key setting here.

Thanks for the help.
CompoundCarl

Well it works fine for me, so perhaps you should post your factory file along with a screenshot of the exact area where you aren't seeing the retractions (but expect to)
SPEED

I have the exact same problem.
There is no retraction on wipe nozzle like it's supposed to.
To be retraction on wipe nozzle like it's supposed to "only retract when crossing open spaces" must be unchecked.
WELL I WISH I KNEW THAT BEFORE I STARTED MY PRINT.

And wait i didn't tell you the best part yet.
It performs the retraction AFTER the wipe movement not during.
That means that the nozzle will stay longer on the blob point creating an even bigger blob.
That's ingenious.
sstephan

SPEED wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:18 am

And wait i didn't tell you the best part yet.
It performs the retraction AFTER the wipe movement not during.
That means that the nozzle will stay longer on the blob point creating an even bigger blob.
That's ingenious.
no its not .
the blob you probably see after the wipe movement is caused by "post retraction restart" .
for example if you retract 0.5mm during wipe , at the end of the wipe the extruder will extend 0.5mm of filament before the new layer . on very stringy filaments this is the cause for the blob .
to reduce this , adjust "extra restart distance" under the extruder tab . you need to set it to negative value to reduce blobs .
start with (-0.1) to (-0.3) . higher values will create voids .

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”